Eastern Box Turtle

Photo Description
The Eastern box turtle (Terrapene carolina carolina), is native to the eastern half of the United States. New hatchlings are about the size of a quarter, with adults reaching approximately 8" in length. Both the shell, called a carapace, and the skin are brown with orange and yellow spots and splotches to help camouflage it in the leaf litter where it can often be found. Adult males have red or orange eyes, while the females have yellow eyes. They are gentle, beautiful animals and I hope that you've enjoyed learning a little bit more about them!

Photo Location
My small town, OK

It is so cute! I love this photo!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Thanks so much!! She was a neat little girl. I played with her a bit & let her go free!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

My grandson, Seth, had a terrapin that someone gave him after a Labor Day Turtle race. That Box turtle never opened his shell the whole race and stayed tightly closed. Seth asked the guy what he was going to do with him, and he gave it to him. That terrapin and Seth bonded. The little guy (or girl - we didn't know then to look at the eyes) would crawl up and snuggle underneath Seth's chin! I never saw anything like that in my life!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Wow! That's SUPER COOL! I'd say the turtle felt very at ease w Seth & that's great! This turtle had odd eyes but it was very young. Another way to tell a Box Turtles sex (again, maybe when they are older) is that the females have a flat bottom shell & the male's have concave ( rounded-in ) bottom shell, which allows the male to fit on top of the female during mating.

Also, it's important for anyone handling any turtle to always wash their hands immediately after since turtles can carry Salmonella. Thank you for sharing your experience, it made me smile!

Reply Like this photo? Yes