Turtle and Tortoise Photos

Category Wildlife
Outdoor activities such as a trip to the beach or a hike are enhanced when we are lucky enough to see these interesting reptiles. You can also see them at many zoos. This is a guide about turtle and tortoise photos.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

We were fishing. When we turned around in the boat, we saw this turtle going across this log. It was awesome, the closest we had got to one. Our son was very excited to see one so close. He had only seen turtles in a pet store.

By Debbie N

A turtle sitting on a log at American Lake, WA

Comment Like this photo? 16

Photo Description
The Eastern box turtle (Terrapene carolina carolina), is native to the eastern half of the United States. New hatchlings are about the size of a quarter, with adults reaching approximately 8" in length. Both the shell, called a carapace, and the skin are brown with orange and yellow spots and splotches to help camouflage it in the leaf litter where it can often be found. Adult males have red or orange eyes, while the females have yellow eyes. They are gentle, beautiful animals and I hope that you've enjoyed learning a little bit more about them!

Photo Location
My small town, OK

Comment Like this photo? 7

Photo Description
Once again, young Box turtles are on the move, enjoying the nice fall weather! Soon they will be hibernating under logs and the thick blanket of leaves that have fallen. They eat a wide variety of insects and vegetation. As adults, the males have red eyes, while the females have yellow. The males also have a concave area on the bottom of the shell, allowing them to better mate with the females in spring. The females lay a small clutch of leathery eggs, usually buried beneath soft dirt or sand, where the Sun can warm them. The baby turtles are about the size of a quarter when they hatch!

Photo Location
Small-town, OK

Comment Like this photo? 5

Blanding's Turtle is a threatened species in MN. These type of turtles primary cause of death is getting run over.

We picked this one up off the road and put her in the wetland she was headed for. The average length is 5-8 inches, this one was about 13 inches.

By Bugluvver

Closeup of turtle's head.

Comment Like this photo? 9

I was just enjoying the view of the open ocean, when all of a sudden I heard water splashing and a low hum from the water. As I looked over, there was this huge sea turtle. It was easily four feet wide.

The sea turtle looked so peaceful, as it waited for me to take its picture. Moments like these remind me of how precious our oceans are, and we should always take care to not pollute them!

By Ale from Delray Beach, FL

Comment Like this photo? 5

Swan Lake Gardens is a favorite place for relaxing in Sumter, SC. There are walkways, and beautiful flowers, but my favorite things are the butterflies, birds and water fowl. I didn't even notice the cormorant when I snapped this picture.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 11

After a long rain this little fellow showed up in one of our garden beds. There is one place that we do not have the small fence around our garden and that has to be the only way we can figure that he came in.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 9

I love turtles! I always had them as pets growing up. This one is called a Galapagos Giant Tortoise. It eats mostly grasses and can live to be 170 years old, yes, 170! What stories he could tell in his lifetime.

Comment Like this photo? 3

Chewy is a 2 year old Eastern Box Turtle. A friend gave him to me. He likes to eat, and bask in the sun. He is very curious, friendly and loves to eat a worm from my hand.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 9

While on the walking trail at the North Carolina Aquarium at Fort Fisher, I was able to capture this photo of turtles on a piece of driftwood. The water was calm which produced a mirror image of the trees that surround the pond and the clouds in the sky.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 3