Making a Drinking Straw Marble Maze

Category Toys
With a few inexpensive supplies you can make these fun maze games for your children or let them design the layout themselves. This is a guide about making a drinking straw marble maze.

I have to admit that I had a lot of fun making these mazes! They would make a fun addition to any Pre-K or Kindergarten classroom. You could incorporate it into the manipulative or quiet centers, as well as make it an art activity. Children can help make their own mazes with just a few items. Let them choose how the pathways should be spread out and then they can test it after! I even think kids in upper elementary or junior high would enjoy making these, perhaps on a larger scale.

Total Time: 25 minutes

Yield: 2 (1 large and 1 small)

• 1 + small marbles
  • 10 + plastic milkshake straws
  • hot glue gun with sticks
  • 2 box lids (I used one from a greeting card box and a Christmas lights box.)
  • scissors

1. Cut your straws into various sizes, including halves, thirds, fourths, and smaller. For the larger maze, you will also use some full length straws. I chose to use milkshake straws because they are larger and provide a sturdier path for the marbles.
  2. There are numerous ways to create a maze. For the smaller maze, glue a straw piece horizontally in the middle of the box. For one like my large maze, hot glue a piece of straw in one corner of the box lid. Place it diagonally facing upward. Now take a longer piece of straw and glue it at the top of your initial piece, horizontally. You can play around with the straw pieces now before you glue them down. Make sure your pathways are wide enough for the marbles to pass through.
  3. Continue gluing down straw pieces for both mazes. You can do this by placing a few straws parallel side by side, diagonally, L-shaped, or U-shaped. You can make an easy maze like my smaller one, or something more intricate like the larger.
  4. After you have placed straws all over the box lid, fill in any holes using the smaller pieces. You want to create a few places where the marbles can become temporarily trapped or cornered. Allow the glue to fully dry.
  5. Place one or more marbles in the maze and maneuver the box lid to get them through the pathway!
  6. Ad

How delightful!

Thanks! I know kids would enjoy constructing and playing with this because I did! Haha