Making Egg-Free Meringues (Vegan)

Category Candies
When the price of eggs becomes prohibitive, you might want to try this unique substitution for the egg whites. This page contains an egg-free meringues recipes.

With the prices of eggs going up (in my area, they are $3.99 a dozen at the cheapest) and then having to separate your yolks and find a use for them. Why not just use something you're going to pour down the drain like garbanzo bean juice? I've read about how the brining liquid in a can of beans can act as a substitute for eggs. Amazingly enough, not only does it work famously, it also tastes amazing.

In these photos, I made both regular sized and mini buttons. You can get 50 or so regular sized meringues with this recipe.

Total Time: 2 hours

Yield: 50 meringues

Source: Revolution Vegetale, an awesome vegan cooking group

• 6 Tbsp brine from can of garbanzo beans
  • 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
  • 3/4 cup fine sugar (I grind my own white sugar in a spice blender)
  • pinch salt
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 225 degrees F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper, Silpat, or foil. (I've used all of them for this and they all work great.)
  2. Ad

3. Put garbanzo liquid and cream of tartar in a big bowl and whisk on medium-high speed for a minute until it starts foaming up.
  4. While whisking, add your sugar little by little. Add pinch of salt.
  5. After a few minutes, drizzle in your vanilla extract. Continue whisking until glossy and stiff peaks start to form. This took me about 10 minutes.
  6. Fill piping bag with meringue mixture. You can also use a plastic bag and snip off the corner.
  7. Pipe cookies onto lined baking sheet. Bake for 40 minutes at 225 degrees F.
  8. Shut oven off and without opening oven door, leave meringues in there for about an hour to dry. Remove, let cool. Meringues will pop right off sheet when cool. If they stick a little, get under them with a knife.
  9. Enjoy. :)

Aquafaba is the fancy name for the juice, or brine, to come out of a jar of beans. You know, the stuff that everyone throws away. But someone discovered it can be whipped and has the same consistency of egg whites!

Which means all sorts of desserts can be created with it, including meringue cookies.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes
Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts CandiesJanuary 10, 2017
🌻
📓
🎂