Eligibility for Survivor's Disability Benefits?

I am 30 years old and found out recently that my mother never received money from the state for myself and 3 siblings after my father died in 1990. I think he was on partial disability and received some money for that.


The agencies back then told her that my father didn't have enough quarters paid in and so she received nothing. She has worked 2 to 3 jobs her whole life since then and I'm curious if she is entitled to anything now that she is 57 years old? She should get something considering we were deemed not eligible for money she could have used then. Please answer this for me! It's killing me.


Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

June 2, 20110 found this helpful

Contact your locals Social Security Office. They should be able to help you.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Silver Feedback Medal for All Time! 450 Feedbacks
June 3, 20110 found this helpful

Why don't you call the people who can answer that question without guessing? Call the SS office near you and make an apt to talk with them.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Silver Feedback Medal for All Time! 472 Feedbacks
June 3, 20110 found this helpful

Since it was your father who was disabled, your mother and the children would only have been eligible for benefits if he had met the requirements. Since requirements were not met, no money was awarded to her or their children. Your mother has worked and that has made her eligible for benefits if she ever becomes disabled.


Her benefits would also cover any children under 18 years old, or through high school. Unfortunately, benefits do not cross over; your mother cannot use her quarters of work to cover benefits she would have received from your father had he worked them, because he didn't.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
June 4, 20110 found this helpful

In Pa. she would have been able to collect from Social Security for the children up to 18 yrs.old or until they were out of school. I am not sure how other states are. I would contact the SS office in your area. She may be able to collect from your Dads SS. It is worth checking every avenue. If you have a Community Action Program or even Office Of Aging contact them for help. Believe me they don't offer anything. You must seek it out.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
July 3, 20110 found this helpful

Why don't you just call Social Security? They have a 1-800 number I called the other day to ask a disability questions with some similarity to yours. I have a sister who in Jan went on disability at 35. I am raising her son, I was checking to see if he was eligible for any benefits. But she had not worked enough. One thing they said was she needed to have worked 5 of the last 10 years. She has never been very well so her work history has been spotty to say the least.


So he is not eligible for anything.

I remember women telling me if you have been married to someone for at least 10 years you can receive from their SS at your retirement age. But not in addition to yours I believe it was instead if it were more than you would receive on your own. Only took me about 15 minutes on the phone, your mom would need to be there with you or they won't give you specifics.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Business and Legal Legal General AdviceJune 2, 2011
Fourth of July Ideas!
Father's Day Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCoronavirusCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.
Desktop Page | View Mobile
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Generated 2023-05-29 21:08:31 in 1 secs. ⛅️️
© 1997-2023 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.