General AdviceLegal

Eligibility of Children for Social Security Payments

Well I have a huge question, I have been paying child support for 18 years since I have been in the military for 23 years for my biological son. I have medical and dental insurance for him through the military. My question is how can my biological son have received a Social Security check from his mother's husband when he is not deceased nor am I deceased and I have never given up my rights or consented on no documents?

By Nathaniel

You will have to call your local Social Security Office and set up an appointment to talk to them about the SS. checks. How old is your biological son? If you have been paying child support for 18 years, you should be done with it, unless he is disabled in some way and you agreed to pay until he is able or if he is able to support himself. My ex-husband did that, then when our daughter turned 18, he realized what he had done. I didn't let him off the child support until our daughter was about 23, just because he was so eager to get divorced that he wasn't thinking.

When I agreed to let him off, he had to send me a certified check for $1,000 before I would sign the papers, and our daughter's SSI went up drastically when she stopped getting child support. If your son is an adult, he shouldn't need child support and if his step dad is on disability that could be the kind of check you son receives. But there again, if your son is a normal adult he shouldn't qualify for that. Like I said you are going to have to get your answers from the SS Office.