HomeRepair

Emergency Gasket from an Egg Carton

Got a leak? Make a gasket out of a Styrofoam egg crate. I can't tell you how many times something is leaking and it's after 5 o'clock or it's just too inconvenient to run to the store, not to mention the expense. So here is my thrifty tip on how to make a gasket in less than five minutes.

1. Cut the sides of the egg crate with either kitchen scissors or a razor blade into strips for easy keeping.
  2. Trace the gaskets that are leaking with a pen.
  3. Use either an X-Acto knife or small pair of scissors to cut the gasket in the shape you have traced.
  4. Use the gasket you have just made. Sometimes a single gasket isn't thick enough so you have to cut two.
  5. Store the rest of the Styrofoam strips in your toolbox for further use

What a great idea! Thank you. I'm going now to use it in my kitchen sink faucet, as I think that gasket got grinded up in the
disposal since it's not in it, and I get a slight spray out of the side of it.

I take the sink "spray part" of the faucet off when I want full stream water to wash out larger containers, and last week I noticed the faucet was like it had sprung a leak, which was because I forgot to put that round gasket back in, before I put it back together.

So now, because of you, I can fix that quite easily!
Thank you again.

If one doesnt fix it put 2 together-

We were coming home in the middle of the night and the head gasket broke in half. Being two females with a panel truck we walked in to a gas station and asked some guys if we could borrow a few tools. They had big smiles on their face sure said one . While my cousin took of the engine head I made a gasket from a large packing paper towel box.

She was only 5'2" and I was 5"3".
After we repaired the truck away we went from Maryland to CT. We were laughing all the way since we were mothers of sons and the rule of the house was don't call for help before you first try to fix it. Also she was a champion VW racer.

Home and Garden Repair HomeFebruary 27, 2018
🎃
🌻
🎂