HomeRepair

Emergency Gasket from an Egg Carton

Got a leak? Make a gasket out of a Styrofoam egg crate. I can't tell you how many times something is leaking and it's after 5 o'clock or it's just too inconvenient to run to the store, not to mention the expense. So here is my thrifty tip on how to make a gasket in less than five minutes.

1. Cut the sides of the egg crate with either kitchen scissors or a razor blade into strips for easy keeping.
  2. Trace the gaskets that are leaking with a pen.
  3. Use either an X-Acto knife or small pair of scissors to cut the gasket in the shape you have traced.
  4. Use the gasket you have just made. Sometimes a single gasket isn't thick enough so you have to cut two.
  5. Store the rest of the Styrofoam strips in your toolbox for further use

What a great idea! Thank you. I'm going now to use it in my kitchen sink faucet, as I think that gasket got grinded up in the
disposal since it's not in it, and I get a slight spray out of the side of it.

I take the sink "spray part" of the faucet off when I want full stream water to wash out larger containers, and last week I noticed the faucet was like it had sprung a leak, which was because I forgot to put that round gasket back in, before I put it back together.

So now, because of you, I can fix that quite easily!
Thank you again.

If one doesnt fix it put 2 together-