Enchilada Soup Recipes
Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 158 Feedbacks
September 23, 2015
Read More Comments
This is a recipe that I tried to taste like my favorite soup at a restaurant we go to. Surprisingly, it tasted better than the restaurant and now I can make it at home anytime I want it! My kids love this soup and we all fight for the leftovers.
Total Time: 45 minutes
Yield: A lot of soup!
Source: I've been making it so long that I don't remember where I adapted it from.
- 1 Tbsp vegetable or canola oil
- 1 lb chicken, cooked and cut in bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced or crushed
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cup masa harina (in the Latin food aisle)
- 3-4 cups water
- 1 1/2 cup enchilada sauce (I use mild)
- 1 lb Velveeta cheese, diced (generic is fine)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
If you like it spicy, try a hotter enchilada sauce.
- Heat oil in large cooking pot, over medium-low heat. Add onions and garlic, stirring frequently. Cook until the onions are translucent, about 7-8 minutes.
- Add chicken broth.
- Combine masa harina with 3 cups of water and whisk until smooth. Add to pot.
- Add enchilada sauce, Velveeta, salt, chili powder and cumin. Stir soup until smooth. Bring to a boil.
- Simmer on low for about 25 minutes, stirring frequently, every minute or so. If the soup is a bit too thick, add another cup of water. If it's too thin for you, you can mix a little more masa with a little more water and add to the soup. It really thickens up the mixture!
- During the last few minutes of cooking time, add your chicken.
- Garnish with cheddar cheese and tortilla strips, if desired. It's also delicious on it's own!
Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these recipes. If you have made this recipe please submit a photo and let us know how it worked. Or, add your own recipe variation.
Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 216 Posts
January 26, 2012
One word says it: Yummy!Read More...
Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.
October 4, 2009
Does anyone have the recipe for Chili's chicken enchilada soup? Thank you.
By kathy from Charleston, SC
AnswersAnswer this Question
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2022 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.