FudgeCandies

Extending the Shelf Life of Fudge

Does anyone know how to cook fudge that lasts 1 to 3 months? I have been making fresh fudge for years and it lasts about 2-3 weeks. I would like to supply a local farm shop but it would need to last at least a month. Quite a few local fresh fudge shops achieve a 3 to 6 month shelf life and say they don't use preservatives? Goodness knows how? Thanks.

Best Answer

I would not believe what another competitor is telling you as all store bought fudge has preservatives or it will spoil after two+ weeks when left on a counter.

• It would be nice if your farm shop had a refrigerator/freezer as I believe that is the only way to keep a supply of freshly made fudge.
  • Anyone stating that fresh fudge will keep on an open counter longer than two weeks need to have to give the buyer a list of all ingredients (if that seller is stating that they use all natural ingredients).
  • I owned a restaurant (many years ago) and freshly made fudge was a big seller and I was never able to find an additive to extend the shelf life so mine was always in the refrigerator or the freezer until needed.

I would still be very interested if someone provides the name of an additive that would work and still be all natural.

The only way I know to achieve that is to freeze it, tightly sealed.

The only way I know is to freeze it . !!

I see that everyone is recommending to freeze your fudge but that would not help you with your problem as you are looking for a way to extend the open shelf life in a farm shop.

Perhaps you could "loan" the shop a small refrigerator that would keep your fudge for about a month or longer (just take out a few pieces at a time?). Just a thought...

Is it possible to make smaller batches and just restock the market more frequently? The farm market could tout your product as small, artisan batches...which in my area is a huge selling point. It's like 4th grade civics of supply and demand... small supply + high demand = better price! Just a thought! Hope it helps!