Family Etiquette for Young Couples Visiting Home

Category Family
Intimate behavior can be uncomfortable for others, when a young couple is hanging with other family members. This is a guide about family etiquette for young couples visiting home.

When my older daughter and her boyfriend come over my younger daughter has an issue with their displays of affection. Putting feet on each other, she lays across him sometimes while watching TV, etc. What is the proper behavior for young lovers visiting home? It's all new to me.

Answers

Best Answer

If your daughter has issues with it, you should probably mention it to your older daughter. It really sucks to be uncomfy in your own house! I remember my distant cousin was like that with her boyfriend when I was about 9 years old and it made me feel SUPER uncomfortable. I didn't even want to be around. I'd say something.

Best Answer

I don't feel too bothered by it, but would rather her show some respect in general for us and herself. She is a good kid, but obviously feels very safe and comfortable with me.

My younger daughter is a young 20 years old and when she would have a male friend over this was not allowed, but she was much younger then. I really just wanted to see if I was inline with what others thought. I am. Thanks for the feedback.

Normally young couples should show respect in their parent's home. If this is a problem I would have a talk with my daughter. I would explain to her that she needs to show respect when in your home. Holding hands, or putting an arm around the shoulder is fine. But lying down on his lap and watching TV isn't proper behavior. Also playing footsie should be stopped when in your home.

Explain to your daughter that her younger sister, finds this offensive. While she is in your home, she should act according. She should follow the same rules as your young daughter follows when her boyfriend is visiting. You don't allow your younger daughter to act like this with her boyfriend. Your older daughter should not act like she is now in your home.

I think it depends on the culture and how love is shown among each family. Even my parents' hardly show affection in front of us. And in return, at most I would do is hold my fiancés hand in front of my parents'. I would never lay on my fiancé, then boyfriend, make out, kiss or anything in front of my parents'.

I would feel very awkward and uncomfortable, but some people can do these things naturally.

When your older daughter and her boyfriend visits and does this, what are your thoughts and views? Would you rather have them behind close doors doing this? How old is your younger daughter?