Feeding My Dog Oatmeal

My 4 year old Cavachon is waking early and retching and bringing up bile. My dog walker has suggested giving him some oats at supper time (he normally eats dry food at 8am and 4.30pm only). Is this a good idea and how should I prepare the oats?

It is a good idea. Prepare as the package suggests and dont add sugar.

Oatmeal prepared according to directions and without the addition of sugar can help settle a dog's stomach. Adding a small amount of canned pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling, can also be helpful. (1/2 tsp. to 1 tsp.is a general guideline for the amount of pumpkin you should add) Cooked rice is another food addition that can help ease or settle digestive problems your dog is having.

I have had dogs for almost my entire life and no vet EVER, recommended oats. If your vet gives the OK then you can try it, following their instructions. I personally would NEVER give my dog oats unless the VET gave the OK.

My one girlie had issues with retching and vomiting and her vet was very prescriptive that she only get 1/4 cup of white rice cooked in water 6-8 hours after her last episodes (nothing before).

Then she gave directions to add a teaspoon (this was an 11 pound dog) of canned chicken mixed with the rice for the next scheduled 2 meals. Then the third day, we could mix the rice, chicken and a a few nuggets of her regular food. By day 4 if things settled, she could go back to regular food. If things weren't good by day 4 she had to be seen. Thank goodness she never had further issues per episode.

Every vet has protocols depending on the dog size and other factors. ASK!! The pup will thank you!

Prayers for healing.

Pets Dogs HealthFebruary 4, 2019
🎃
🌻
🎂