Finches Not Incubating Their Eggs

I have a pair of Gouldian finches and the hen laid 7 eggs. One of which was broken while they were going in and out. All signs indicated that she was ready to incubate, but on day 7 she lost all interest in the nest. The male would go in and out for minutes and come out, but neither would lay in the nest. At night it was like the nest didn't exist.

I have four Society Finches that I just acquired that seem to be still fairly young and decided to try to put the eggs in their cage before I discarded the clutch in a last attempt to save the eggs. During the day all four Society finches take turns in the nest and at night all 4 would incubate, is this normal?
Are the eggs still considered to be incubated if the birds are constantly in and out during the day? It's like when one comes out the other goes in, but they are constantly rotating.

Should I leave them in there and just wait it out and see what happens? Will they even know what to do? None of the Society finches have eggs of their own nor have they had a previous clutch. However they became interested in the nest right away, how do I know they are incubating and not seeking warmth?

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Best Answer

Eggs can remain fertile for up to a week without incubation. If 7 days pass, the eggs will not hatch.

Pets BirdsJanuary 16, 2018
🐛
📓
🌻
😎