Finding Healthy Recipes

A woman checking the healthy recipe she is making.
There are many sources for healthy recipes that limit fats, salt, sugar, and other generally unhealthy ingredients. This is a guide about finding healthy recipes.

If you Google "SNAP recipes" or "WIC recipes" you will get many sources of delicious recipes with high nutritional value, and all of them are inexpensive. SNAP is the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (food stamps) and WIC is the Women Infant and Children under 5 program. Both are government programs that have guidelines on what foods are acceptable to be eligible. Some items are whole grain breads, peanut butter, milk, eggs and chicken. You will not see soda pop or chips on the list of allowed foods!

You do not have to participate in these programs to get access to the recipes. They are for the taking on the website. I took a couple of screenshots to show examples. I have tried some recipes, and have been very pleased. These programs use foods in season, and there is a great variety of menus.

Too much salt and sugar in your diet is not good for your health. Finding flavorful recipes low in these two ingredients is quite easy as we move to a more healthy lifestyle. This is a guide about low salt and low sugar recipes.

Salt and sugar spilled on a black table.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Please let me know some easy breakfast recipes that are good for my husband. Usually I give him toasted bread either with margarine (low fat) or jam alone, with a banana, but now he hates those. Also, I don't like to serve him too much oily or sweet things as he is sick with diabetes and high cholesterol.

All of your answers are most welcome.

By butterfly20 from BH

Best Answer

Hello Butterfly,

By all means, cook your husband breakfasts of regular old-fashioned oatmeal. Serve it to him with a sugar substitute and lowfat milk. It might be the best all around breakfast you can give him for every health issue you mentioned.

Old-fashioned oatmeal will lower his cholesterol and will not make his sugar go too high as long as he sticks to the substitute sugar and lowfat milk unless he chooses to eat several cupfuls at the time.

Oatmeal is very good for the heart as well and will build a good supply of energy that should last him all through the mornings.

My husband and I are both diabetic, and we add ground cinnamon to our oatmeal which is supposed to help keep sugar down. We both manage our sugar very well now and take very little medication for it.

Be careful with an excess of dried fruits, but do add walnuts and almonds to his diet. Either as a mid-morning snack or in the afternoon to get him through to dinner.

With high cholesterol, he should not be eating too many egg yolks, but the egg whites will fill the need

for morning protein without meats. Stick to whole grain breads and pastas. Add olive oil and garlic

to everything possible for the cholesterol.

I wish you the best of luck with him. Men can be fairly stubborn about eating what's good for them sometimes. :-) Make sure you tell him that you are taking good care of him, not only for him, but for you too. You don't want to lose him.

Pookarina

Best Answer

Have you tried a flour tortilla filled with scrambled egg beaters and maybe some turkey bacon, or real bacon bits ( from a jar), maybe some fat free cheese sprinkled in. You could also add salsa, if you like. Just toast in a skillet with some non- stick spray, or microwave, once filled. Hope this helps.

Best Answer

I always keep sauteed veggies (onions, peppers, mushrooms, etc. sauteed in olive or canola oil) in the fridge, along with egg substitute. My diabetic husband (who also has heart disease, kidney disease & high cholesterol) loves omeletes made with the egg substitute, some of the sauteed veggies & low-fat cheese. Tasty and also very filling, with or without bread.

Another of his favorities is like an "Egg McMuffin" thingy. I toast a muffin, microwave one egg, add a piece of low-fat cheese and/or a slice of Canadian bacon & make a sandwich on the muffin.

Mrs. Butterworth's makes a great tasting sugar fee maple syrup, which he can use on pancakes, french toast, waffles, etc.

Hang in there. It's tough, I know. Good luck.

Best Answer

He may be what the last person said, but high cholesterol is usually about carbs, too many of them. Especially triglycerides. Glucose & triglicerides get raised from too many carbs, this causes too much insulin to b produced & the glucose gets converted to triglycerides, when the insulin cannot store the glucose. This is insulin resistance. Triglycerides are less harmful in the blood than glucose, so the body does what it can to alleviate the problem.

The thing that happens with long term insulin resistance, is that the storage procedure gets skewed, then the triglycerides are elevated in the blood, this means aalot of really bad things for the person who has problems with this. I'm not saying the triglycerides are bad in & of themselves, but it's an indication that things are not right inside, where all biological activity takes place.

By the way, fat does not raise cholesterol, contrary to pop belief. Stick to high protein & high fat: eggs, bacon, sausage, cheese, a good steak, with low glycemic vegetables. Stay away from fruit & don't eat carbs by themselves, this raises glucose levels, too. These things will lower insulin levels, lower triglycerides & makes the body & brain happy.

I have type 2 diabetes as a result of SLE. I also have many people in my family who are dead or not in good health from diabetes, so I know something about it.

I take herbs & DMAE for lowering glucose & they work well, along w/lowered carbs. Fat is not the villain here. Try google & research these issues, it's not only about the diabetes or heart disease. Diabetes is a problem with a major hormone center that is not working up to par. This effects many things & processes. Everyone throws around terms like diabetes & very few people & Dr.'s included, ever wonder why this came to pass, cause serious conditions of the body do not come about overnight, ever!

Best Answer

Being a diabetic, I'm not sure if he can eat honey. I heard that honey and cinnamon together are very good for you. So, about 3 times a week, I eat a toasted english muffin with small amount of honey and sprinkled with cinnamon (yummy) along with eggbeaters, banana and half a glass of orange juice. Very filling for me and seems to keep me thin and healthy!

Best Answer

How about yogurt & fruit, deviled eggs, eggs in pita pockets (or low carb bread), peanut butter on apples,

soup, French toast with low carb bread & sugar free syrup, a small steak & Egg beaters, a BLT on a pita/low carb bread, or a smoothie (1/2 banana for diabetics, berries, low fat milk, ice)?

Does anyone have some low fat recipes to share?

By Rosalie

Best Answer

Check out the Eating Well website, I have had success with their recipes. You can sign up for newletters and they will email you recipes, it's kind of fun to get new ideas delivered to your inbox.

http://www.eati  om/recipes_menus

Would like some low-fat recipe ideas that don't include mushrooms or fish. I am trying to lose weight and need healthy food ideas. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I need to lose 50 pounds.

wacky camper

Answers:

Healthy Low Fat Recipes

Hi, check out the Hungry Girl website. She is awesome and has the best healthy recipes I've ever seen! (or tasted (01/25/2009)

By Di Walk

Healthy Low Fat Recipes

The Weight Watchers website has quite a few recipes that you can access without "joining". Also, sparkpeople.com has recipes, support, and tons of resources that are all for free. It is really worth joining. (01/25/2009)

By Jilson

Healthy Low Fat Recipes

I take and layer chicken breast/tenders in a dry non-stick skillet.
Heat on med/high.
Sprinkle garlic salt heavily on the top of the chicken and then evenly spray with PAM.
Once chicken is good and bubbly, flip and repeat the seasonings and spray.
Once chicken is cooked through, and this will depend on the thickness, not the time, you can pull it and serve it with a healthy salad, or in a steamed veggie toss, or eat it in a pita sandwich of what ever. Is so very tasty!

I like mine a little caramelized. So once it is cooked through, I turn up the heat and let it cook till it is almost dry. Then add a touch of water and respray with the PAM, it bubbles and coats the chicken with all that great flavor.
I do this to both sides and the cooked down juice and water and PAM make a nice bullion type substance that really marinates the meat and tastes great.

Mrs. Dash is a good seasoning to use too, and it is sodium free as well.
This technique can be used on pork as well.
(01/26/2009)

By Dedeswrkshop

Healthy Low Fat Recipes

I went to my local library and checked out the "American Heart Assoc." cookbook. Jane Fonda had a healthy book from the 80s and others.
I photo copied the recipes that I liked.

One favorite:

Crispy baked chicken (Amer. Heart)

• 1 cup fat-free milk
  • 3 cups cornflakes
  • 1 tsp. crushed dried rosemary
  • 1/2 tsp. pepper
  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

I use a Ziploc bag and put the cornflakes, rosemary, and pepper and crush. Dip the chicken in the milk, then crumbs. Put in in a baking dish lined with foil and vegetable oil spray (I use olive oil spray).

Bake 400 for 30 min.

It's also a matter of taking maybe one of your favorite recipes and changing it to low fat.

• Use egg whites instead of whole eggs.
  • Use other spices besides salt.
  • Bake instead of deep fry.
  • Substitute ground turkey breast for hamburger.
  • Use whole grain pastas.
  • Don't forget fresh fruits/veggies.
  • Ad whole grain breads.

For chili, I used ground turkey breast, fresh crushed tomatoes (or canned if I didn't have enough fresh), chili powder, onion, and kidney beans. I also threw in oatmeal.

It was a healthier version than the hamburger as usual and delicious.

My sister-in-law once made chili without meat and just used oatmeal and spices. It was delicious!

(01/26/2009)

By kghsave

Healthy Low Fat Recipes

I make huge salads out of cabbage slaw, low fat dressing, add canned, rinsed black beans or garbanzo, sliced radish, and add a small amount of grains: brown rice, quinoa, wild rice, all kinds, including wheat berries. I then add a little bacon bits and raisins or "crasins", and a small amount of walnut pieces. Eat lots. You can add a few cherry tomatoes, and 1/4 of a diced avocado. It fills you up and is good. Keep it simple. For breakfast have oatmeal (steel cut), Splenda, and more fruit. I eat salad for lunch and dinner. You won't be hungry, and it is so good. I use low fat sesame dressing, lightly. Enjoy. (01/27/2009)

By islandsage

Healthy Low Fat Recipes

When baking cakes use unsweetened apple sauce in place of oil and I usually add a TBSP more apple sauce and eliminate 1 egg. This can be done with most cakes. (01/27/2009)

By Dolly

Healthy Low Fat Recipes

Substitute chicken for fish in just about any recipe. Limit your fruit to 2 servings daily, that includes juices. Limit your carbs to no more than 30 grams daily. Increase daily water intake to at least 8 - 6oz glasses. Try walking once daily, 4 times a week for 10 minutes in one direction, turn around, and 10 minutes back. Stay away from crackers, sweets, "empty" snack foods.

Good luck, hope these tips help. (01/28/2009)

By hedera

Healthy Low Fat Recipes

For Overweight Heart Patients: Guaranteed to lose 10 to 17 pounds in one week. Follow it closely.

• Day 1: Eat all the fruit you want, all day, "except" bananas. Especially eat melon.

• Day 2: All vegetables, fresh, raw, or cooked. No beans, peas, or corn. Eat a large baked potato with butter.

• Day 3. All fruit and vegetables, but no potatoes or bananas.

• Day 4: Eat 8 bananas and drink 8 glasses of skim milk.

• Day 5: Beef and vegetables. Eat 10 to 20 ounces of beef and 6 tomatoes, medium potato, and 8 glasses of water.

• Day 6: Beef and vegetables. All you want, but no potatoes.

• Day 7: Eat brown rice and drink unsweetened fruit juice and eat vegetables. Stuff.

Continue in this way, in order, until you have reached the weight you want. You must keep the days in order, no switching around and substitutions. Eat all the T-J soup you want.

T-J Soup

• 6 large onions
  • 3 green peppers
  • 2 stalks celery
  • 1 head cabbage
  • 2 cans whole tomatoes
  • 1 or 2 pkg. onion soup mix
  • Optional: carrots, garlic, or fresh parsley

Cut vegetables and cover with water in large pot. Add onion soup and tomatoes. Boil for 10 minutes, cover, lower heat and simmer until vegetables are soft.

Eat T-J soup anytime you want and as often as you wish. There are no calories in this soup. The more you eat, the more you lose.

The seven day eating plan can be used as often as you like. As a matter of fact, if you followed correctly, it will clean your system of impurities and give you a feeling of well-being your never thought possible. After only seven days of the process, you will begin to feel lighter because; you will be lighter by at least 10 pounds and possibly 17 pounds and have an abundance of energy.

Continue this plan for as long as you can wish and feel the difference in both medical and physical disposition.

Bananas are high in carbohydrates and will lessen any cravings for sweets. Two fruits which are lower in calories than most other fruits are watermelon and cantaloupe. Should you eat melon, your chances are losing 3 pounds the first days are great.

Drink lots of water. On the 5th day, drink at least 8 glasses to wash away any uric solids in your body. I did not drink skim milk, but I did drink 1 %.

Cut the soup in half if you like, as we are not heart patients.

I only drank water plain and with lemon. It does make you feel better. Remember to think about what you can have not what you cannot eat! (01/28/2009)

By Kathy from MD

Healthy Low Fat Recipes

When I was 37 I weighed 180 lbs. I went down to 140. After all that work I now weigh 210 lbs. When I went back to work it was easier just to eat take out, especially Chinese which I love. Simply because right across the sidewalk from where I worked was a Chinese restaurant. The point I'm trying to make is you can lose all the weight you want, but unless you realize it's a lifetime commitment, you will gain the weight back.

Instead of looking at it as a diet, think of it as a lifestyle change. It's something you're doing to make your life and your health better. When I lost my weight what I did was try to eat less fat and carbs. I would eat egg salad with fat free mayo and I would only eat the whites chopped up. Instead of eating it on bread I would sit it on a big bunch of lettuce. I would do this with tuna or chicken and turkey salad, also. You could also do a green salad with grilled chicken strips on top. When I go to McDonald's I order a side salad with a piece of grilled chicken on it and I use Newman's light balsamic vinaigrette. Something else to consider if you're using lettuce, Iceberg lettuce has very little nutritional value if any. I didn't know this when I lost the weight. So maybe if you're going to use lettuce you should mix some romaine or something in with your iceberg. I also love the Kraft fat free dressings.

I love sweet tea and soda so instead of going cold turkey at first, I would cut myself way back and would only drink a glass at dinner or with lunch, until eventually I cut it out all together and only drank water with a little lemon or orange juice squeezed in it.

To this day we still only use skim milk and you can buy fat free mozzarella and cheddar cheese to use in your recipes. Although my family doesn't like them as well they're probably healthier for you. You can also buy fat free cream cheese, ricotta, and sour cream. Nobody here likes Italian except for pizza, which by the way I don't recommend. So I will make an 8x8 inch pan of lasagna using fat free ricotta and mozzarella for me, and freeze portion sizes to use for lunch later on. There's also 2% cheeses you can buy.

Another thing is to cut back on is your portion size. When I made spaghetti or something I really liked I would have second helpings. They have a spaghetti measurer that has holes in it that measures out the proper amount for a serving. This is what I used and I would measure out all my food. If my cereal said 2/3 cup, I measured it out.
www.Mypyramid.gov has all kinds of information that also tells you what a serving size should look like for different foods. I can't remember where I saw it, but I think it was on the Food Network, they measured rice out in an ice cream scoop because they said it was equal to a serving size. I know fish and meats are supposed to be the size of your palm or a playing deck of cards. When you think about it that's not much. That's probably why so many of us are overweight.

For your meats broil, bake, grill, or poach them. If you're eating turkey or chicken, don't eat the skin. Contrary to popular belief, fruits are good for you, but like everything else in moderation, because of the sugar content in a lot of them. If you're watching fats; anything that's prepackaged especially bread products are full of hydrogenated oils.

I also walked every day for 30 minutes, even if it's 2 times a week it's better then nothing. When I started out it was for 5 minutes on a hill beside my house to the neighbor's house. Then the following week it was to the church which was a few minutes longer. The most important thing is to start off slow so you don't hurt yourself. Then each week do a little bit more.

We use this recipe for a snack with skim milk. It's from the 8 Week Cholesterol Cure book. It does have oat bran in it so they are a little drier than the muffins people are used to, but we like them.

Apple Cinnamon Muffins

• 2 1/4 cups oat-bran cereal
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 1/4 tsp.cinnamon
  • 1 Tbsp.baking powder
  • 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1/4 cup raisins
  • 1/2 cup skim milk or evaporated skim milk
  • 3/4 cup frozen apple juice concentrate
  • 2 egg whites
  • 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil or to make oil free use 2 Tbsp. corn syrup
  • 1 med. apple chopped

Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Mix the milk, apple juice concentrate, egg whites, and oil in a bowl or blender. I never use a blender. Add to the dry ingredients and mix. Add the chopped apple. Line the muffin pan with the paper baking cups and fill with batter. Bake in a 425*F oven for 17 minutes.

Makes 12 muffins

Serving:1 muffin
Chol:0.17mg.
Protein:2.1 gm.
Carbs.:22.3 gm.
Fat:4.13 gm.
Saturated:0.27 gm.
Polyunsaturated:1.67 gm.
Monounsaturated:0.62 gm.
Fiber:4.28 gm.
Sodium:103 mg.
Calories:142

It says that they don't get as brown as a regular muffin so if you leave it in long enough to get really brown on top you'll get a dry muffin. It also says don't leave it in longer then it calls for and to check it with a toothpick to make sure it comes out clean. I've checked them after 15 minutes and they were fine. I've also had a little extra juice left after the first batch so the second batch got 1 cup of juice instead of 3/4 cup and this made them a little moister. They have no preservatives in them, so if you don't eat them within 2 to 3 days, store them in the freezer or fridge in a zipper storage bag. This is how I keep them in the fridge anyway, I put them in the bag as soon as they cool down.
(03/24/2009)

By lindybell

I need help finding low sodium and low sugar recipes for everything. Talk about hard to find.

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.