Finding a Good Hair Stylist

Category Hair Care
Photo of a hair stylist holding a blow dryer.
Always getting your hair cut and styled exactly the way you want it is a real challenge, but there are ways you can make it easier. This guide is about finding a good hair stylist.

Most people bring a picture or search for a picture of the hairstyle they want at the salon. If you get the perfect hair cut/style or it grows into the perfect style have someone take pictures of you. Front and back. Show those pictures to your stylist. You now have the perfect example of what you want and how good it will look.

By Janet C. from New York City

When I go to my hairdresser for a new cut and/or style, first I search on line for wigs. When I see a style I like, I print it out and take it with me to the appointment. That way there is no guessing on her part as to what I want. Some of the sights will even give the length of the cut in inches at the crown, the sides and the back. This makes it very easy for her to give me the look I want, no guessing games for her; no disappointments for me. Works like a charm and she loves it.

Most hair dressers call themselves hair stylists, but they are far from it. Now that I'm older and with a lot of grey I want a softer, youthful hair style. At nearly every salon I'm been to, every older woman walks out with the same ole, same ole, hair cut and style. The first thing every "hair dresser" has asked me is "how do you want it?" I don't know what and don't know what would look good one me. No one has ever recommended a cut taking into consideration the shape of my face, my complexion, and the texture of my hair. Is this asking too much and do we all have to look like every other woman over 60? So, how can I find a stylist an apposed to a hair dresser.

By weinerdog41 from Ft. Worth, TX

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I take a picture with me of a hairstyle I like and tell the stylist to start from there and modify to suit my hair etc. It works for me as I use the same stylist all the time and show her the picture every time. You can't expect them to remember every nuance of every customer. Another thing you could do is go to a wig shop and try different styles. Get your picture in the wig and take it along.

I have the same problem, I've used the same hairdresser for 20 years and she has yet to do anything different and specifically for me, yet when a couple of times I had the courage to try someone new, it was terrible. Perhaps you can go to a local beauty school where the are learing about face shapes etc., but you may have to agree to accept anything they do. Good luck.

If you would send a picture I bet you'll receive many responses.

When you see a lady with a hairstyle you like, compliment her on her hair and ask her who her hair stylist is. Most people will feel flattered to be asked. I cut out pics from magazines of hairstyles I like. Eventually I can see a pattern. Show it to a hairdresser and see if they can do that style for you. This worked for me.

Take some pictures of hairstyles you might like and then the hairdresser might give you some ideas.

When you see a woman with a hairstyle that you like ask her who does her hair. I found an excellent stylist that way. It also would not hurt to bring in pictures of styles you like and "partner" with the stylist to find what works with your hair.

I went on The Hair Cutery website and found a style I liked. I printed a copy and take it to every new salon I go to. Sometimes it comes out ok other times not. It all depends on the hair stylist.