Fixing Jam That is Too Thick

Category Food Fixes
Making and canning your own jam is a great way to preserve bumper crops of fruits and berries. If the jam is too thick you might try adding heated fruit juice prior to adding it to your canning jars.

I made a peach and raspberry jam and a peach, raspberry, and orange jam and both are too thick. Is that fixable?

Answers

Best Answer

There are lots of recipes to thin it out on the internet, including some Home Extension Office sites. Some involve grape or apple juice, some involve water and lemon, and some use alcohol...like rum or vodka.

This one is from the home extension finder site:

pickyourown.org/how_to_fix_runny_jam.htm

When I used to can, none of the methods worked for me and it always ended up too thin.

I finally gave up and found the best uses for too thick a jam was to use it to make pies and tarts and to warm it until it was soft and use it over ice cream (the latter being my most favorite) served with a shortbread cookie it was heavenly!

I know there are a few experienced canners on this site, so maybe they can tell you the trick of not getting it too thin.

Post back with an update!

Best Answer

Heat a juice that has the same or similar flavor and add it to the jam until you get the consistency you want.

How can I rescue peach jam that came out too thick?

By Elizabeth R

Answers

If the jam is too thick, before you put it in the jars, just heat 1 or 2 cups of grape juice (or any other fruit juice of similar or neutral taste, like apple or white grape) to boiling. Then, gradually pour and stir it in until you reach the desired consistency, then continue canning!

If the jars are already sealed / canned, then when you use them, just stir in a little grape juice until you reach the desired thickness.

Food and Recipes Food Tips Food FixesJune 22, 2020
😷
🌻
🎆
😎
🐛