AfghansCrochet

Fixing Loose Crochet Stitches

I am making a hdc blanket and now in the beginning section (I am using 2 colors) the stitches have become very loose and there are some snags as well. How do I fix it? I'm almost done so I don't want to tear it out.

Here is a great video m.youtube.com/watch?v=adQiO1xx_cE

What she does is takes a crochet hook and guides the loose yarn back into the weave of the fabric. She also says how to block the garment again if the results are not what you want.

If you are brave, you can try this technique:

www.lillabjorncrochet.com/.../how-to-restore-foundation-chain-in...

I have been crocheting for over 20 years and I am still afraid to try it...but that is me.

What I have done to correct this situation was I created a false border (for lack of a better term)...where I used a second color (in your case it would be third color) and created a little cross stitch pattern to fill in the gaps. You can do something decorative on the saggy end...then when you truly end the blanket...purposely make the stitches loose and do it at the top so the ends match.

It really makes a lovely decoration. I gave that blanket as a gift and it was well loved. If I remember right, I used double thickness of the yarn (the blanket was solid blue and the X stitches were white. I did a gingham type of X's so it looked like white with the blue between. It was a nice effect!'

For the snags, you can split the yarn and take a large eye sewing needle and tuck them in by waving them down. Don't knot the yarn, just weave the tails in at each end.

I can try to draw this if it doesn't make sense. Let me know. Good luck!