Fixing Scratches on a Watch Face

Category Watches
A scratched watch face can be quite annoying. Some scratches can be repaired though. This is a guide about fixing scratches on watch face.

Does anyone have any tips for getting scratches out of a watch face? I just got a new watch last month and I just today I noticed I have scratch right in the middle of my watch. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Answers

Best Answer

I found this video, that utilizes regular toothpaste to buff the face of the watch, then he wipes it with a glasses cleaning rag, many times.

https://youtu.be/4Cl6XgFju38

This other tutorial discusses the matter at length, and agrees re. toothpaste above, but elaborates: " The most commonly endorsed polishing agents are Polywatch, Brasso, Displex and toothpaste. The process consists of (1) covering up the bezel with tape, so as not to damage it during polishing; and (2) using a soft polishing rag (or something similar), to work a small amount of your chosen substance into the scratch in a circular motion. In general, it should take a couple of minutes to get rid of the scratches, as long as theyre not too deep. " http://gearpatr … apphire-crystal/

You could use a buffing compound, but glass is tricky. If you are not getting good results, take it to a professional to fix.

Is in on the face of the watch itself or on the crystal (clear plastic or glass covering)?? If it is on the crystal covering, and its plastic, it probably won't buff out. If it is glass, use a toothpaste or take it to a jewerly store that does repairs. Years ago in college I worked at one and we used to puff them for around $3.

You do not mention the cost of the watch but in any case - I would recommend taking the watch back to the store to see if they may be able to help you - you may be surprised and actually get the crystal replaced - either free or "cheap".

Or maybe ask advice of a watch or jewelry repair service as most of the home remedies will only work on very minor scratches.