Food for Dog with Skin Allergies and Epilepsy

My Belgian Shepherd, Busta, has been suffering with major skin allergies for too long. He was diagnosed with epilepsy last year. The vet believes that the skin issues and seizures are linked, as when his rash has flared up his seizures get worse. At long last and many vets, specialists, and arguments ago I finally got an amazing skin specialist who is now doing many tests and so forth. She has requested we try a hypoallergenic food which is great, but the food she wants us to try is way too expensive so we are looking at alternatives. Any ideas would be great.

I'm also looking for homemade recipes, but here is where it becomes awkward because overall the food he has tried is canned and only has meats like venison, ostrich, and other rare ones, and an unusual carb and limited vegetables. Any help, advice, or websites would be fantastic. Thank you in advance just for taking the time to read this.

By Sara Benson Was B.

My dog has skin allergies. The very best thing I found was Immunitol. I also have a dog with a granuloma on his paw, it cleared that up too. It costs quite a bit. I can't afford it now since I lost my job. It really works!

I had a tough time finding a diet for my allergic Cairn Terrier. I finally ended up cooking for him. I cooked brown rice, added a can of pink salmon (bones, skin, oil and all) I added a vitamin mix.

He never had a problem after that. He had chewed himself practically hairless before I found the right combination. Strangely, the food he was most allergic to was broccoli. He lived to be 17 1/2 with no problems on that diet.

What else besides salmon can you feed them?

Anonymous

I make my dog food with boiled hamburger, white rice (I use minute rice) frozen vegetables no corn dogs get allergies from corn and so I boil hamburger when it is done I go ahead and add my rice & vegetables cook until vegetables are done let it cool put in containers, and freeze sometimes I mix it up I use chicken and sometimes mix with both meats but if your dog is used to the different meats you can do anything you want just as long as you handle their food as you would your own (safe), so as soon as food is cooled put away. Good luck your dog will love this.

Hi Sara,
I'm from NZ and there was no commercial dog food when I grew up. The whole country had to make their own so here is a basic recipe that you can alter to suit yourself and dogs palate.

And yes it does smell pungent when cooking it.
Boil in a pot on the stove or better on a BBQ element out side:

Beef stewing meat. 2lbs approx.
Beef heart, liver, offle, get all from the butcher.
Chop into chunks for cooking.

((or use mutton or hoggett (old lamb) if stomach is sensitive))

2 medium carrots chopped.
1 cup peas.
2 Sweet potatoes.
1 cup Squash.
2 potatoes chopped.
Cup of rice
(but trial rice later as carbs may cause skin irritation)
(Flour causes skin irritation in some cats and dogs)
Beef bones.
Beef bones are important to add so don't skip them as the marrow is good for the dog.
Don't grind bones after but just give as chew treats.
Do not give lamb bones as treats as they splinter.
Throw lamb bones out after boiling.
Natural Salt.
Cover with water and boil.
Keep liquid and blend vegetables.
Cube meats or blend ( depending on dogs teeth and age)
Mix all in a large bowl.
Keep in fridge and make fresh every 5-7 days.
Freeze if you have to but fresh is better.

Add any supplements as per vet separately from home cooked food.
I hope that helps.
Regards. Jen.