Freezing Food Without a Vacuum Sealer

contest winner icon
Vacuum sealers and their bags are really expensive. Here is how to seal food without one. Not only do you save money by not buying a sealer, but this method pushes out all the air, which eliminates freezer burn, and lets you store frozen goods longer.

Total Time: 5 minutes

Source: Youtube

1. Put your food in the bag.
  2. Close the bag, but leave about one inch open.
  3. Put the bag in a large bowl of water. Don't let water get into the bag!
  4. The pressure of the water will start forcing the air out of the bag. Use your hands to push all the air out.
  5. Close the bag completely.
  6. Ad

7. Dry the bag thoroughly before putting in the freezer.

I love this. I saw this on a cooking show a few weeks ago and I was super impressed. Thumbs up:)

Anonymous

I have a vacuum sealer that I use only infrequently because of the price. I tried this and it really works well.

This is a neat trick, it does work, and while not new it is good to send it around again for those who don't know about it.

Anonymous

This little trick works well, and is not new, but always good to send it around again for those who don't know about it.

Great idea!!!

I eat a lot of shredded cheese. I have found the bags to be heavier and stronger. I have also found them to be more air and water tight than regular storage bags.

I will be using them to try your water method. I think my home grown and chopped bell peppers will thank you.

I think this is a great idea.

I do a 2 bag process. The outer zipper bags can be re-used until you have run out of room to change the date of when you froze what's inside, if you choose to keep them. The inner bags are the least expensive plastic food storage bags I can find at the store. They are flimsy, usually gallon sized, and close with a twist-tie. I never use the twist ties though. I get my large pack of meat or whatever I am freezing, my zipper freezer bags, and the storage bags. I label my freezer bag with whatever will be inside and the date, it's easier before you fill it. Then I take however many of my item I want to use at one time (It's me and I take care of my dad so I portion enough for 2 servings for 2 people). I put them into the cheap bag, and spread and flatten them as much as I can. This helps them freeze and thaw more evenly and quickly; you can also just leave the item in its original shape if you wish. Then I lay the bag on the table, smoothing out any air, then fold the bag around the items as many times as it will go (basically rolling the food in plastic).

No air inside is important, most foods are easy to force the air from. After the food is tightly wrapped, I simply place it in my sipper bag. Usually I can process and fit an entire tray of meat into a gallon zipper bag and have it be about an inch or two thick, nice and stackable. Then, zip your bag pushing out any air, and freeze. Sounds like a lot but after you find your own rhythm, it takes minutes to do. I can get 6 trays of different meats and have them processed and in the freezer in about 20-30 minutes. I've even gotten to a point where I don't need gloves or anything, I turn the cheap bag inside out over my hand, grab the meat, and flip the bag right side out over the meat. Then flatten and fold, proceed as usual. As for veggies, the process is the same, but you chop your freezable veggies in small-ish even pieces so you can force the air out easily. Only one different is onion-I will finely chop an onion (or onion and bell pepper), put a recipe amount in a small zipper snack bag, put all of them in the cheap bag then into the zipper freezer bag. That way no onion smell in the freezer.

Anonymous

It is very good advise. Thanyou

What a fantastic idea - thank you so much for sharing it with all of us out here. Now I am looking forward to trying your idea next time I do the grocery shopping!

I do Kat ' s method.

Clever idea!

Great ideas - thanks!