Freezing Tomato Sauce

Category Sauces
Extra tomato sauce can easily be frozen for later use. Popular methods include freezing it in ice cube trays or plastic zipper storage bags.

Sometimes when you have to use a small can of tomato sauce, you may not need more than 3-4 tablespoons. Instead of keeping it the fridge, "just in case I need it" and then finding it after a month moldy, I pour the remaining sauce into ice cube trays and freeze them. When frozen, I pop them into zip loc bags. You can use them frozen right from the bag. I think 1 cube is maybe 1 1/2 Tbsp? I find it so easy!

By Clara from North Andover, MA

If you have left over tomato sauce from an 8 ounce can, don't throw it away or stash it in the fridge where it could be forgotten. Instead, I pour the rest into an ice cube tray. After they're frozen, pop them into a ziplock bag. Whenever you need just a little tomato sauce, you have them right in the freezer. No need to open another can and no waste!

By Clara from North Andover, MA

My recipe called for only 1/2 cup tomato sauce. Can I safely freeze the remainder of the can in half cup portions for future use? And if so, for how long will it retain its goodness?

Answers

Best Answer

Freezing is fine-I freeze solid in ice cub trays, empty into zip bags-freezer, not storage bags. Freeze for 4 months. Easy to use what you need and keep the rest frozen.

You can save time preparing meals by making a large batch of your favorite Italian seasoned tomato sauce and freezing it. This is a page about freezing spaghetti sauce.

bowl of marinara sauce

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

When a recipe calls for a small amount of tomato sauce, you can have extra sauce left over. Mix the unused sauce with a little water and pour into ice cube trays. Freeze and store in freezer bag or container.

By Marcia from Starke, FL

I rarely use all of a jar of pizza sauce, a can of tomato sauce or a can of tomato paste and they seem to spoil so quickly. What I do is empty the contents into an old ice cube tray. Make sure it's one you don't plan on using anymore, because it may stain. Then when the cubes are frozen, you pop them out and put them into a zippered bag. Each cube is approximately 2 TBSP. Of course it will depend on your cube size. But measure them out to 2 TBSP per cube and if you need 1/4 cup of whatever you have frozen, just grab 4 of them. They thaw fairly quickly because they are so small.

By Andrea from MI

Answers:

Freezing Leftover Sauce

When I make homemade pizza I put the leftover tomato sauce into ice cube trays and then when frozen put into snack size baggies in the freezer - I don't waste the sauce and I always have some on hand. It melts quickly in the microwave.

By Mary (12/10/2004)

By ThriftyFun

Freeze Leftover Sauce In An Ice Cube Tray

wow that's so clever, i tried it the other day it really good :)
(01/14/2005)

By

This works great with leftover juice too. When I buy juice to make mixed drinks, I put the remaining juice in ice cube trays and freeze it. In the future, you can add the "juice cube" to your drink to cool it off while adding flavor. (09/11/2007)

By Valerie

Food and Recipes Freezing SaucesMay 7, 2020
😎
🐛
📓
🌻
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Freezing-Tomato-Sauce-2.html