Freezing Yellow Squash

Can yellow squash be frozen to fry later?

By Tina S.

Not really - it becomes mushy and watery, but you can dice it up and freeze it and throw 2 cups in every stew, soup and chili that you make all winter. It is great for that. Hope this helps.

Yes, it absolutely can! I have frozen squash in my freezer right now that I did earlier this summer. What I did was to slice it, then I put it in a zip lock bag and added plain yellow cornmeal and shook it to coat the squash.

Take a sheet pan and layer it with wax paper, put down a layer of the breaded squash, another layer of wax paper add another layer of squash till you have as many layers as the pan can handle.

Cover with wax paper and freeze.

After it is frozen, you can place it in a bag, (I use a Food Saver machine), and return to the freezer. I fry it up while still frozen on my deep fryer, remove when it floats. It taste delicious and it's never been soggy at all!

Thank you, Shelyn! I've been reading how to freeze squash for later use and your comment was just what I was looking for. We like to eat our squash fried, lol. I assume this would work for pattypan and zucchini as well. Great find right here!!

so you do not have to blanch them when you do it this way?

do you have to blanch it first?