Fried Green Tomatoes (Gluten Free)

contest winner icon
Fried green tomatoes are a family favorite of ours. When my gluten sensitive guests come for supper, I change things up just a little. With the help of "Betty Crocker Gluten Free Bisquick" instead of flour everyone can enjoy the great taste of this southern favorite!

1. Slice the green tomatoes to desired thickness.
  2. Soak sliced tomatoes in milk for approx 15 minutes. Add salt and pepper to milk if desired.
  3. Heat cooking oil or Crisco in frying pan until hot enough for frying.
  4. Pour ample amount of Bisquick into a bowl big enough to dredge tomatoes. Add salt and pepper to the dry mixture for added flavor.
  5. When oil is ready, dredge wet tomatoes into the dry Bisquick until covered thoroughly then place into hot oil. Cook until golden brown then flip to brown other side.
  6. Place cooked tomatoes on paper towel to drain excess oil. Salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!

Top Comment

I picked the larger green tomatoes off the tomato vines before the big freeze last week. We had fried green tomatoes for supper tonight. Delicious.

I'm keeping the tomatoes in a cool room and hope they will be good for a few weeks. We love fried green tomatoes. This is a good recipe for those of us that have to avoid gluten.

Thanks for sharing your recipe. Betty Crocker Gluten Free Bisquick can be used in a lot of recipes that call for flour.

Great flavor and you can get it at Wal-mart.

Oh boy. That looks good. I can't wait to try this. Thanks for sharing.

I tried your recipe for fried green tomatoes. It was the perfect dish to go with our leftovers for tonight's supper. For the two of us, I fried 3 medium tomatoes and it was a pan full. They were so good, we ate all of them. Scrumptious!

Oh my it has been ages since I have had Fried Green Tomatoes. My mom use to dip them in beaten eggs then bread crumbs and fry them in bacon grease. We made a meal on them in the summer.

I love these and could never get them to work. I see soaking them in the milk is what I was missing. Thanks a lot.