Fudge Not Setting Up?

I am making old fashioned fudge. A penuche recipe. I let the syrup cool to 110 degrees and stir. But as the fudge cools down it does not lose its shine and remains more like a caramel like substance. I can't tell if I am over or undercooking it? Is it possible to get caramel like candy at 234 degrees or so?

Any pointers? I do the soft ball stage and all seems to be fine, but I get glossy caramel instead. I'm pretty sure I am over cooking, but not sure? Please help.

Best Answer

One easy thing to do seems to be, to harden too-soft fudge, you need to reheat and re-beat the fudge to get it to the right consistency.

Make sure your fudge was heated up enough in the first place. Here is a good article to help you: www.leaf.tv/.../

Thanks for the tip, this worked like a charm

I always use a candy thermometer to 240degrees Fahrenheit ( 100 degrees Centigrade). Turn out perfect! Soft ball stage is 230-240 depending on altitude. I live at 6500 ft so I use 240 degrees.

Food and Recipes Food Tips Food FixesFebruary 5, 2017
🍀
🐰
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Fudge-Not-Setting-Up-1.html