Funky Punky Autumn Decoration
I often get crochet thread still on the cardboard center. When I roll it, I save them for crafts just like this one.
- 1 center spool from a crochet thread skien.
- size I and G hooks
- glue gun
- 2 oz orange yarn
- 1/2 oz brown crochet thread
- 1 Baseball size ball to stuff in the cardboard center scrap yarn for ball
- 1 doily for top
- Originally I was going to make the crochet thread the same color, but it didn't stand out so I don't have a shot of the brown thread in the first supplies photo.
- With your I hook, chain the orange yarn till it's about the size of a tennis ball. Glue the end inside the spool and begin wrapping. I put a tiny spot of glue in the middle of each wrap so it would not show the cardboard. If I do this again, I will cover it with some orange/pumpkin fabric or paper
- With your G hook, chain enough of the brown yarn to go around the pumpkin (under it and up the sides and over the top). Make 4 of these.
- With the scrap ball, make sure it fits inside snugly. You want to give the top of the pumpkin a little bit of a round shape. Glue the doily on the top evenly.
- I used a mini doily I had that was so close to the right color I didn't worry about it. If you don't have a doily, here is a simple way to cover the top. With your I hook, chain 2 and make a single in the first chain, making another 11 in the same stitch. Join and chain 1.
- Make 2 singles in each stitch around for 24. Join and chain 1. Make a single in the first stitch and two in the next around for 36. Join and chain 1. Make a single in the first three stitches and two in the next around for 48.
- When your top is big enough, sew or glue it onto the top. Then, take your brown chains and measure them in half. Make sure each chain is centered on the bottom before you glue them. Your item does not have to have a bottom, you can glue them right to the vertical chains. Make them so they are 4 evenly spaced and then draw each one and tie the matching ends together on the top. Do this with the other 2 and tie the ends like a stem. N-JOY!!
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!