Making Felt Autumn Pins

Category Jewelry
Pumpkin pin
Felt is so easy to work with you can create your own autumn pins to wear or gift. This is a guide about making felt autumn pins.

Create some adorable pins to wear during the autumn months in less than an hour. With just a few supplies and a little stitching and gluing, you can make several to sell or give as gifts. You can also make them as magnets or to add to a wreath.

Approximate Time: 1 hr.

Instructions:

Leaf Pin

1. Begin by making the base for the pin. Choose 2 leaves of different shades. Remove any plastic stem and veins by peeling them off. Overlap leaves (see diagram) and glue together.

2. Take a piece of felt slightly larger than the leaves and glue them on to this. Cut around leaves, leaving a slight border of felt showing.

3. Glue pin backs on when pin is completed.

Ghost

1. Cut 2 ghosts from white felt using pattern.

2. If choosing to use beads for eyes, sew them onto face of one piece.

3. Sew bodies together and insert a tiny amount of stuffing. Continue sewing until closed.

4. Tie ribbon or thread around neck and a small red felt heart on to tummy.

5. Sew ghost on to leaves.

6. Embellish more, if desired (see photo).

Pumpkin

1. Cut 2 pumpkin shapes from orange felt using pattern.

2. Cut facial features from black felt and sew onto one pumpkin piece.

3. Cut a piece of pipe cleaner and wrap wire tightly around one end. Fold end of pipe cleaner into loop to hold wire. Insert at top between the pumpkin pieces and stitch top closed, being sure to catch the stem and wire into your stitches to secure. Continue sewing and insert a tiny amount of stuffing.

4. Finish sewing until closed. Follow dotted lines on diagram and stitch through entire pumpkin for slight indentation.

5. Sew pumpkin on to leaves.

6. Wrap wires around a toothpick to curl.

7. Embellish more, if desired (see photo).

Scarecrow

1. I used a finger of a jersey glove, but you can make a small tube from material or felt. Since my glove was dark brown, I chose to make a circle from tan felt for the face. I sewed the facial features on to this circle. I inserted my finger into the glove tip and sewed the face on to it.

2. The straw is made by unraveling twine. Place hat pieces on top of head, sandwiching the top of the head in between. Sew across brim, inserting twine as you go. As you sew the rest of the hat closed, scrunch up some areas and tack them along the way.

3. Stuff the head and tie a strip of material around the neck, tucking twine under it as you go. Tack into place to hold twine. Unravel the bottom edge of the body for a more rustic look. I had some patterned material and cut some pictures from it for the sign and sunflower.

By Mary from Palm Coast, FL

Those are so darling!

Blessings, Robyn

Thanks Robyn!

Very detailed and great looking! Thanks.

As soon as I saw the photographs, I knew immediately who had created these adorable little pins and decorations. Your work is very distinctive, Mary, and you are a gifted artist.

Congratulations on another great posting of creative crafts. Thank you so much for sharing them with us.

Pookarina