Garnishing Student Loans for Back Child Support?


I was incarcerated a few years ago and my mother had applied for welfare for my children when I was locked up. I just started going to school and applied for some extra money through my student loans. I don't have a problem paying my back pay child support, but at the same time I'm not working due to my felony and I really can use the money to pay some bills and so on. So can Colorado garnish me for child support through student loans? Please some one help me with this question.


By Michelle

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

February 22, 20120 found this helpful

Most attorneys have first time consultations free of charge. Look in your phone book. Where I live, the attorneys that do that have it listed in their ads in the phone book.

Also try to find a legal services provider. Just because you have a former felony conviction doesn't mean you can't work. You just have to apply the right places. Also when you get your education completed, there is no assurance that you will find a job either, especially in whatever field you are training in.

I taught school for a few years then quit to raise my family and was always told that my college education was good for obtaining jobs in other fields too, but I never found that to be true.


Then I took a two year legal secretary course at a technical institute, and any job that I have had since then has been ones that I could have had with a high school diploma. My advice is to apply for jobs at burger places, factories, etc.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
February 23, 20120 found this helpful

Supporting your kids should be your number one bill. Why should the state support them? Also if a person has school loans in default, and the person is on social security, the social security can be garnished. School loans is one of the worst places to be in default.

The bigger your loan the more you will have to pay back and after your education is completed, if the only job your are able to find, doesn't pay a living wage, you will have a very hard time paying it back, and have enough to live on and support your kids.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
February 24, 20120 found this helpful

You will need to double check this information with a lawyer in case the laws have changed but from what I understand student loan proceeds can not be garnished.


Have you at least tried talking to the courts regarding what you owe for back child support and come to some kind of new agreement on repayment based on that you're trying to be a contributing citizen? Have you talked to your mom to see if she would be willing to go to the courts with you to find if some of the back support can be waived?

And, yes you can get a part time job (or two if need be) and still go to school full time even with a criminal history! All you have to do is try applying everywhere and anywhere doing anything (that's legal). Lots of people have done it! It's all a matter of attitude and hard work and the choice ultimately is yours.

"Have you sincerely learned your lesson, will stay on the up and up, try above and beyond and hold to any agreements you make?" If so, you will be successful; if not you're making excuses and playing the 'victim'.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
February 25, 20120 found this helpful

Rethink using your student loan money to pay bills. Just today I read where an athlete got in trouble for using scholarship money to start a business.


I would think as, this is a federal government thing, that the penalty for misusing the federal funds could be greater.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
June 4, 20120 found this helpful

By law, student loans are to be used only for things to keep you in school. Tuition, fees, school supplies, books, rent, utilities, food, insurance, etc. They are personal loans that cannot be garnished by anyone for any reason. You cannot default on them, even if you declare bankruptcy. They will follow you around for life until you pay them off.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!


In This Page
Business and Legal Legal Child SupportFebruary 22, 2012
Pest Control
Father's Day Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCoronavirusCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.
Desktop Page | View Mobile
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Generated 2021-05-10 07:15:38 in 1 secs. ⛅️️
© 1997-2021 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.