German Potato Soup Recipe
Read More Comments
This is a very hearty and healthy soup that is made almost completely of vegetables. It feels like a rich creamy winter soup, but only has about 250 calories a serving and tastes great!
Total Time: 2 hours
Yield: 8 (1 1/2) cup servings
Source: This is a BeachBody recipe that I have modified quite a bit
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 10 Slices slices turkey bacon (about 2/3 package)
- 1 medium onion
- 2-4 leeks
- 4 medium carrots
- 1 head cabbage
- 8 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 6 potatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp caraway seeds
- 1/2 tsp salt (or more)
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 8 Tbsp nonfat plain yogurt, for serving
- Cube potatoes. Chop bacon, onion, leeks*, and carrots. Shred cabbage. I used a food processor to make quick work of this.
- Heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil in a large saucepan over medium high-heat. Saute' turkey bacon, onion, leeks, carrots and cabbage. Cook stirring frequently for 7-10 minutes or until vegetables soften.
- Add broth, potatoes, bay leaves, caraway seeds, pepper, salt, and nutmeg to vegetables.
- Bring to a boil stirring frequently. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally for for about 30 minutes, or until potatoes are soft.
- Place 4 cups of soup in the food processor or blender, cover and blend until smooth. An immersion blender would have been great for this step if I'd had one :)
I did go through with a slotted spoon to catch any large potato chunks and blend those, since I'd cubed them pretty roughly, but they would have boiled down on their own eventually.
- Return blended soup to saucepan and mix well. Serve immediately, or keep on lowest heat until ready to serve.
- Serve each portion topped with 1 Tbsp. yogurt. My husband picked up French bread on the way home because it's the kids' favorite. I think it would be even better with a nice rustic loaf.
Tip: Soak the leeks after chopping to easily remove the embedded dirt.
Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.
I need a recipe for German potato soup.
Wyla from Houston, TX
Answer this Question
By Sheryl (Guest Post)
February 4, 20080 found this helpful
German Potato Soup
1 pound cooked smoked sausage, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch slices
1/2 of a 28-ounce package frozen loose-pack diced hash brown potatoes with onion and peppers (about 4 cups)
1 16-ounce jar sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
2 tablespoons stone ground mustard
3 14-ounce cans chicken broth (5-1/4 cups)
In a 4- to 5-1/2-quart slow cooker place sausage, frozen potatoes, sauerkraut, and mustard. Pour broth over all.
Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 7 to 9 hours or on high-heat setting for 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 hours.
Makes 6 to 8 main-dish servings (about 9-2/3 cups).
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.