Getting Grease Out of Clothing

One of the best degreasers for clothing I have found (and cheapest) is Dawn dishwashing liquid. Just put a little on before washing, rub and throw it in the washer.

Louise

Answers:

Grease Stains in Washer

Someone washed grease laden clothes in my washer! How do I remove the grease from inside the washer? (11/03/2005)

By Korey

Grease Stains in Washer

Hello Korey,

You don't say what type of grease was in the clothing. Was it cooking grease or automobile grease? Also, you don't say if it is a little left or a lot?

For cooking grease: Your best bet is to put some Dawn on a cloth and wipe down the washer, then do a wash load with no clothing or some old towels and very hot water. Because Dawn will suds a lot, so don't use too much, a squirt or two should be enough. The hot water should melt the grease.

For automobile grease: Take some mechanics hand cleaner (the type in the tub at the auto parts store) and wipe down the washer with that. Then follow with running the washer through a hot water load.

Hope this helps.
Susan from ThriftyFun (11/03/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Getting Grease Out of Clothing

Dawn works wonders, along with baby powder! I accidentally washed and dried chap-stick with my clothes and there was grease on everything. Nothing would work. Then I poured a little Dawn Oxy on the stains, coated them with baby powder, and let sit overnight. When I washed them the next day the stains had completely disappeared! Worked really well for grease stains from cooking, no matter how old. (05/10/2006)

By Evey

Stanley degreaser - you can get it on Amazon or check the internet for a home salesperson in your area. Works great - works on wood pitch too.