Getting Replacement Parts for Salvaged Items

Items destined for the dumpster or trash truck can sometimes be rehabbed if you are able to find replacement parts. This is a guide about getting replacement parts for salvaged items.

I found a baby products organizer at the curb during one of my walks. The only thing wrong with it was that it was missing one of the casters. I decided to contact the company about getting a replacement. They asked me for some photos, including one of the tag with the product identification number. They got back to me the next day asking for my mailing address. My daughter will be getting a like-new organizer for her baby and I've saved this item from the landfill. Win-win!

Top Comment

I actually saw them take it to the curb! Many people don't want to take the time to drive to the thrift store to donate, so they leave items out on the curb. I discovered this when I took up power walking. At least 5 years ago I found an $80 Holmes pedestal fan that had a loose screw. I brought it home and tightened the screw and it's been a great fan ever since. Their loss is my gain...

Anonymous

My gosh. that is a really nice organizer. you mean to tell me that they threw it away for one broken castor which they could have easily found like you did. People today drive me crazy with this throw away mentality they have. the landfills are full and they keep building new ones to accommodate all this nice stuff that could be used by someone.

I am not sure if this is in every city or not but freecycle.org is meant for just that. For those of us who don't want things to end up in the landfills we post them to freecycle and then others who subscribe can come get the item. Here in Sarasota you can find items on the side of the curb about 95% of the time. It's fun to go around and see what people throw away.