Getting Rid of Cucumber Beetles

Category Beetles
You can use a commercial powder product such as Sevin or you can use a homemade, less toxic, spray concoction made from wood ash and lime to help control this beetle. This is a guide about getting rid of cucumber beetles.

I thought this little bug was so cute so I whipped out my camera to shoot this photo. After a little research, I found out that all they do is wreak havoc on your plants. This little guy wasn't in my garden, thankfully, but if you see one, follow a recipe from GH Organics and mix together 1 ounce of wood ash and 1 ounce of hydrated lime in a gallon of water. Transfer to a portable spray bottle and apply to your cucumber plants.

I have an infestation of what appears to be cucumber beetles which are devastating my veggie garden. The research isn't clear as to how to get rid of them. Can someone help me?

By Margaret Tabak

Answers

Best Answer

You can dust with Seven powder however if you are trying to garden organically and don't have time to hand pick the bugs off your plants everyday, you can try mixing 2 Tablespoons of red-pepper powder and 6 drops of liquid soap in 1 gallon of water. Let mixture sit overnight and stir or shake well. Pour into a spray bottle and spray weekly on the tops and bottoms of the leaves. This is also good for members of the cabbage family.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

Best Answer

Yes. Wait till evening. Bring a bucket with some water and a couple squirts of dish soap, with you to the garden. Start with potato and squash plants, (usually where they start) Hand pick the visible ones, tossing into the bucket where they will drown. Turn each leaf over and get the other ones smart enough to hide at the same time, look for the eggs. Crush them with your gloved thumb.

That'll take care of the next generation. After each leaf is "clean? spray them with a spray bottle of water with a few squirts of Dawn dishwashing liquid. (Personally I find it works best.) But whatever you have. When you are done, some of the little bastards will still come back, just check every few nights. For more, and keep drowning em and crushing the eggs especially. The spray will encourage them to move to your neighbor's yard. :)