Getting Rid of Foxtails in My Lawn

Category Grassy Weeds
The most effective way to get rid of foxtails in a lawn is to pull by hand. This is a guide about getting rid of foxtails in my lawn.

After the rains and winds in Los Angeles, I have an abundance of foxtails growing on my hillside. Some of them have gotten to my lawn. I have two dogs and I can't let them get into the foxtails. Is there a way to kill off the foxtails without harming my dogs or my lawn?

Answers

Best Answer

You are wise to be concerned about Foxtail being harmful as it appears to be one of the most dangerous weeds to dogs.
It appears that most recommendations are: 1) to pull by hand (which can be a very time consuming and back breaking job) and it is very difficult to remove all of the roots; 2) pour vinegar to soak the roots; 3) use a purchased urine product or use human urine and soak the roots. All of these solutions will have to repeated several times and you will have to thoroughly clean up any dead plants as the remains still pose a hazard for your dogs.

Foxtails are a true nightmare to a homeowner with or without pets. It does appear there are some chemical killers that will kill them and not kill the lawn but you still have to clean up the dead plants. Of course, per-emergence products are the best solution but that does not help with already growing plants.
I can only offer the following links that may help you decide what steps to take right now:

http://www.patw  en-q-a/fox-tail/

http://www.wiki  -Rid-of-Foxtails

How can I get rid of foxtails in my lawn without killing the lawn?

By Marv