Getting Rid of Mallow Weeds

Part of the same family as okra, cotton, and hibiscus, the common mallow can be very invasive in gardens and lawns. Because of its deep tap root and spreading growth habit it can be a challenge to eradicate. This is a guide about getting rid of mallow weeds.

I have a horse paddock that has a lot of marshmallow weed. How can I kill it off with my horse in the paddock?

Thank you.

Answers

Best Answer

I do not know how large an area you are speaking of but you may have to figure a way to close off part of the paddock (if that is possible).
Apparently this is a big problem and very, very difficult to kill. I know you have probably already did research on this and most of it will say the same thing - "I've tried everything and nothing kills it!!". Most sites will say to hand remove it but that is not always possible. I did hear of one person who dug it up by hand and sprayed weed killer in the area where she dug.
Here is the killer products recommended by Texas A&M Extension office.
Herbicides that are labeled for control of mallow in turf are as follows;
Dismiss Turf Herbicide (FMC)
Quicksilver (FMC)
Shutout (Helena)

I do not know anything about these or even where you can buy them (most say they can be found at your farm supply stores).

As to whether they are safe around your horse is a big question that may be addressed on the product itself.

I really believe you should talk to someone at your local county extension agency as they are most likely very familiar with this problem.

garden.org/.../

I have a yard that is 80% weeds. So I soaked the whole lawn with Roundup, then I rototilled the yard. I threw away 12 garbage bags full of weeds then I put carpet over the top for 2 months hoping to kill anything left.

I pulled off the carpet and leveled the yard with my rake. I put in a sprinkler system and a thin layer of good top soil (bought from the store). I planted grass seed, added turf builder fertilizer and after about 4 days grass started coming in. I wanted it thicker so I put more seeds down. Both times I raked in the seed to cover it with a little soil. I had to leave it for a week. When I came back to it and I find all these weeds called mallow common.

My next move is to cut down to 1 watering per day and maybe cut the grass for the first time. I live in northern California so it's still warm. How do I get these weeds out? Thank you.

By Frank

Answers

No answer - just sympathy.