Getting Rid of Mallow Weeds

I have a horse paddock that has a lot of marshmallow weed. How can I kill it off with my horse in the paddock?

Thank you.

Best Answer

I do not know how large an area you are speaking of but you may have to figure a way to close off part of the paddock (if that is possible).
Apparently this is a big problem and very, very difficult to kill. I know you have probably already did research on this and most of it will say the same thing - "I've tried everything and nothing kills it!!". Most sites will say to hand remove it but that is not always possible. I did hear of one person who dug it up by hand and sprayed weed killer in the area where she dug.
Here is the killer products recommended by Texas A&M Extension office.
Herbicides that are labeled for control of mallow in turf are as follows;

Dismiss Turf Herbicide (FMC)
Quicksilver (FMC)
Shutout (Helena)

I do not know anything about these or even where you can buy them (most say they can be found at your farm supply stores). As to whether they are safe around your horse is a big question that may be addressed on the product itself.

I really believe you should talk to someone at your local county extension agency as they are most likely very familiar with this problem.

garden.org/.../

unless you want your horse to colic talk to your vet about whatever you do. this wet spring is killing a lot of horses.

You can use WeedPharm or boiling water. This article explains more: northcoastgardening.com/.../