Getting Rid of Water Hyacinth Plants

This aquatic weed can take over a pond. This guide is about getting rid of water hyacinth plants.

How do I get rid of water hyacinth?

Answers

Best Answer

You do not say if the water hyacinth is located in a small pond or if you are on a lake but the answer is the same - you cannot use regular weed killer as it will contaminate the water and usually does not work anyway.

• You may have tried pulling them out by hand but that will hardly slow them down as they grow from just small pieces left behind.
  • They do sell several products that will kill the hyacinth and is still environmentally safe to use.
  • I had to deal with a similar problem several years ago and the products are on the expensive side but if used correctly, they will do the job.
  • The products are sold at most farm and garden stores, hardware stores (Ace, TrueValue, etc), as well as on-line stores like Amazon.
  • You can find stores in your area with Google, your zip, water hyacinth killers.

Here is one company that sells a product but they have a lot of information on their site as well.

https://www.lak  nth-control.aspx

How do I kill hyacinth lilies? They have taken over our 5 acre pond! We've tried everything! Please help.

By Tonya S.

Answers

I would say put list them for free on Craigslist to see if anyone would like to come take some off your hands. I live in northern Wiscsonsin and would love to have some for my ponds. Good luck!

According to Lake Restoration Incorporated you need to be using a product called Glyphosate 5.4. This is an Herbicide that you put directly on the plants. They absolutely describe it as an invasive species that has even cause problems with public waterways and systems. There is a lot of valuable knowledge about the product above and what you need to do to kill and properly dispose of any remnants of the plant should you have them. I will post a link below.

https://www.goo  IiI8GECWq1kUNsdJ