Getting Rid of Mosquitoes Naturally

I have a terrible mosquito problem. I don't have any standing water, but I have a lot of potted plants that I have to water daily because of the drought. I have noticed mosquitoes flying around the wet soil. I think they are laying eggs on the wet soil. How do I get rid of them without hurting my plants or using harsh chemicals?

By Carol

If your plants are big and strong enough to resist air flow. Use a standing fan. Mosquitoes can't fly against the air flow of a fan. For your plants not strong enough to resist the air flow you can try to cover the soil of their pot with a layer of 0.5 to 1 inch of coffee ground and a second layer of 0.5 to 1 inch of fine sand.

I doubt that mosquitoes larvae can survive in the soil but if they do the sand would stop them completing their last stage of development. If you are using pots with water reserve this is where the mosquitoes would lay their eggs even if it just an under pot tray.

Checking on internet pictures of the three stages of the life of mosquitoes could help you recognize the larvae. You could also get information here : app.nea.gov.sg/.../article.asp?pid=675 to find out if larvae are not living somewhere close to your house and what to do about it.

Good luck!

Catherine