Getting Rid of Mosquitoes

Does any one have a home remedy for getting rid of mosquitoes? This year they aren't waiting for dusk, they are biting day and night!

By Gen

First thing, be sure there is no standing water around your yard/area. Even a sour cream container lid can hold enough water to breed mosquitoes. Old tires, empty containers, etc. Just look around and remove or always pour the water off these items when it rains or you water your yard.

Then, for the containers I use to 'catch' rainwater (always have some water in them), I put about 1 teaspoon of olive oil in the container. Then when it fills with water, the mosquitoes won't be able to breathe or breed (no oxygen). Also, when the water evaporates or is used, the oil has coated the inside of the container and is there for the next rain or whatever. I 're-oil' 2 or 3 times during the rainy season. (I think I got this idea off Thrifty Fun)! Good luck!

This week, clean your rain gutters and other water holding areas. Big difference. Won't help this week or next but encourage bats by building or buying bat houses. Marvelous animals.

I live way out in the country, next to river and have almost no mosquitoes because of my bat population. Do not ever touch them. They won't touch you. Don't fear. The more you get to know of them the more you will appreciate them.