Getting Rid of Spiders

How do I get rid of spiders in my house and hegdes?

Amanda from Wabash, IN

Answers:

Getting Rid of Spiders

First make sure you REALLY REALLY REALLY want to get rid of them. A few spiders are better then a few hundred other bugs!

(i)Spiders and bats are our friends and should be coddled not crushed ;)(/i)

My grandmother used to hang "citrus melon" in her basement to get rid os spiders. I tried to look up the name & found nothing...but it's a melon that smells like oranges. Maybe someone else will know of a more suitable name for such a thing.

While I can not say that it works from personal experience, my grandmother swore by them!

(09/01/2006)

By Qryztufre

Getting Rid of Spiders

I have no advice to get rid of the spiders. I keep my spiders and love that they are there. I just wanted to back up the lady that sent you the previous advice. Spiders eat a lot of other bugs which you really don't want around. I have an extensive garden and I'm happy to find cobwebs out there in my veggies and flowers. (09/01/2006)

By jrslady

Getting Rid of Spiders

The "citrus melon" your grandmother referred to are also called hedge apples. They are a fruit (inedible) of the hedge tree also known as the "Osage Orange" by the Indians. I have not heard them called citris melons but understand how they could be having a pungent orange scent. They are abundant in Missouri in the fall along country road ditches being a neon green in color and somewhat smaller than an orange. (09/03/2006)

By Lynkco1