Giving Gift Certificates

A gift certificate can be a great gift if it is for an activity, product, or for a shop or restaurant that the recipient really needs or enjoys. This is a guide about giving gift certificates.

For those of you with hard to buy for parents, here's a last minute tip that can be used for any occasion. My parents love to go out to eat, especially after Mass on Saturday. Each year, I get them restaurant gift certificates.

I like to package them a little different every year. One year, I placed them in a photo frame. Another year, with a basket with a DVD and popcorn. Other ideas include taped to the lid of an empty box, attached to a set of dinner plates, or perhaps with gloves for driving to the restaurants.

Let your imagination fly. You always have to eat. Good luck!

By Kathy from Barrington Drive

One of the best Christmas gifts we ever got was a gift certificate to a local grocery store. It was a time when things were particularly hard for us, money-wise, and considering our situation, was a very special gift.

By Robin from Washington, IA

See's candy gift certificates can be bought from some charitable groups, in the stores, or online. These are nice to have on hand and to give as gifts because they don't have any expiration date! Even if the See's price per pound goes up, the gift certificate is still good for 1 pound or so. I sometimes will go into See's with a gift certificate and pick out 2 half-pound boxes of just my favorites when I need a lift.

By Linda

For the teenage drivers on your gift list (or anyone else), this holiday season, giving gift cards or gift certificates for the local gas station would be welcomed greatly.

By Terri from NV