Gluten Free Buckwheat Pancakes and Waffles

Category Gluten Free
This is a guide about gluten free buckwheat pancakes and waffles. Get all of the health benefits that buckwheat can offer in this yummy gluten free pancake mix.

Being part Japanese, I grew up consuming a lot of buckwheat in both noodle and tea form. Eventually, I started getting tired of buckwheat everything, until I realized I felt better with less gluten in my life. The problem with going gluten-free is sometimes the food is taste-free! Enter my crispy buckwheat waffles. They have a touch of almond flour that really helps round them off. Whether you're gluten-free or not, I think you'll love these.

If you'd like these to be vegan, as well, swap the butter out for an oil or a vegan butter.

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 5 minutes

Total Time: 15 minutes

Yield: 4 servings

• 1 cup buckwheat flour
  • 1/2 cup almond flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 Tbsp sugar
  • 1 cup any type of milk
  • 3 Tbsp butter

1. Whisk the the buckwheat flour, almond flour, and baking powder together in a bowl.
  2. Whisk eggs, then add sugar, milk and butter.
  3. Ad

4. Slowly mix the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients. Don't over mix. Let this sit for 5 to 10 minutes while you up your waffle iron.
  5. Lightly grease the waffle iron and pour in batter. Cook until crispy on the outside. Serve with your favourite syrup. I enjoy mine with honey, fruit, and jam!

I had heard of buckwheat pancakes but had never tried them. A friend told me he had eaten some in a restaurant and was surprised at how good they were.

I read all about the health benefits of eating buckwheat on the internet, and started searching for some buckwheat flour. I found some at a health food store. Buckwheat is not wheat at all and it is gluten free. It is really good for you.

Waffles and pancakes are easy to make and do not take much time. To save some time, you can mix the dry ingredients together and add the other ingredients later.

I usually double the recipe and freeze them. They are just as tasty heated up in the microwave or toaster oven.

Total Time: Just a few minutes while the waffle iron is heating up.

Yield: makes 8 pancakes or 4 servings.

Source: Posted on the internet and from Light and Tasty's June/July 2005 issue by A Messy Cook on May 26, 2005.

• 1 cup buckwheat flour
  • 2 Tbsp brown sugar
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/8 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/8 tsp clove
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 Tbsp butter, melted

1. Combine dry ingredients in large bowl.
  2. Ad

3. Whisk remaining ingredients together and stir into dry mixture just until moistened.
  4. Pour batter by approximately 1/4 cupfuls onto a hot nonstick griddle coated with nonstick cooking spray.
  5. For pancakes, turn when bubbles form on top. Cook until second side is golden brown.
  6. For waffles, cook until browned well.