Gnats on Houseplants

How do I get rid of house plant gnats?

Hardiness Zone: 5b

Kari from Libertyville, IL

Answers:

Gnats on Houseplants

My plants were always full of gnats, too. I noticed they were always going into the dirt. I got some small size aquarium gravel and put it on top of the dirt. The gnats disappeared, they can't get into the dirt anymore to lay their eggs. (08/22/2007)

By perfumed fan

Gnats on Houseplants

I get the fruit gnats from time to time. I take a plastic cup and pour about 2 ounces of fruit juice with 2 tablespoons of cider vinegar in it, cover it with plastic wrap, punch a couple of holes in it and leave where the infestation is the worst. In a few days they'll all be in the cup and out of your way. BTW, a cheap red wine works even better.

For the plant gnats, I put the whole plant, pot and all, in a bucket of water and let it sit there overnight, then let it drain and goodbye to those little pests, too. Good luck! (08/22/2007)

By sheilamay

Gnats on Houseplants

I've been using apple cider vinegar in a small, shallow bowl, cover w/plastic wrap, put one small hole in middle (too many holes and they will get out). It's been working so far. Empty outside each day. (08/25/2007)

By Kathy, No. Minn.

Gnats on Houseplants

Allow your plants to dry out a bit or move them outside. Changing the dirt will also help but then do not over water.
http://www.pestcemetery.com (10/19/2007)

By Dutch 1962