Goldfinches Feasting On Poa Seed

Photo Description
Last fall, I sowed my front lawn in Falcon 4. That's the best and highest rated tall fescue grass I was telling you about. It's still in a juvenile state. Once it's mature, late summer or this fall, I do expect it to look like a putting green.

The back lawn is a different story. It will be redone, too. Now it is full of Poa, a wicked annual grass. It will die soon, leaving an ugly brown mess; only to be replaced with a thick thatch of crab grass.

In the meantime, the poa is seeding like the dickens. I could plant 10 acres with that much seed. What I detest is what the goldfinches relish.

There must have been 50-75 of them in my back yard this morning. The lawn was literally littered with them. It was a beautiful site, to be sure.

They won't have the poa seed to feast on next year, I hope to have killed it all. That's OK. I keep thistle seed tubes filled all the time. They love that about as much as they do the poa.

I would have loved to have seen a video of all those goldfinches in your yard! Cute little dickens! Thank you for the landscaping info - wishing you the best in the never ending battle of the weeds-lol !

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Photos WildlifeApril 24, 2018
🌻
🐛
📓