My grandkids were shocked to discover one day that I could make pretzels!
Total Time: 1 hour
Source: My recipe box
- 1 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 1/8 tsp active yeast
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 cup bread flour
- 3 cups regular flour
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 Tbsp baking soda
- coarse salt
- 2-4 Tbsp melted butter
- Sprinkle yeast on lukewarm water in bowl; stir to dissolve.
- Add sugar, salt, stir to dissolve, add flour and knead dough until smooth and elastic. Let stand for at least 1/2 hour.
- Meanwhile mix 2 cups warm water and 2 Tbsp. baking soda. Be certain to stir often.
- After dough has risen, pinch off bits of dough and roll into a long rope about 1/2 inch thick and shape like a pretzel.
- Dip pretzel in soda mixture and place on greased baking sheet. Allow pretzels to rise again.
- Bake in oven at 450 degrees F for about 10 minutes or until golden.
- Brush with melted butter.
Cinnamon Sugar Pretzels: After you brush with butter, try sprinkling with coarse salt or melt a stick of butter in a bowl big enough to fit the entire pretzel. In another shallow bowl, make a mixture of cinnamon and sugar.
Dip into the butter, coating both sides generously. Then dip again into the cinnamon mixture.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!