Soft Pretzel Recipes

Category Breads
This page contains recipes for soft pretzels. Homemade soft baked pretzels are a frugal favorite for children and adults alike. Try these recipes or share one of your own.

Recipes

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these recipes. If you have made this recipe please submit a photo and let us know how it worked. Or, add your own recipe variation.

My grandkids were shocked to discover one day that I could make pretzels!

Total Time: 1 hour

Source: My recipe box

• 1 1/2 cup warm water
  • 1 1/8 tsp active yeast
  • 2 Tbsp brown sugar
  • 1 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1 cup bread flour
  • 3 cups regular flour
  • 2 cups warm water
  • 2 Tbsp baking soda
  • coarse salt
  • 2-4 Tbsp melted butter

1. Sprinkle yeast on lukewarm water in bowl; stir to dissolve.
  2. Add sugar, salt, stir to dissolve, add flour and knead dough until smooth and elastic. Let stand for at least 1/2 hour.
  3. Meanwhile mix 2 cups warm water and 2 Tbsp. baking soda. Be certain to stir often.
  4. After dough has risen, pinch off bits of dough and roll into a long rope about 1/2 inch thick and shape like a pretzel.
  5. Advertisement

6. Dip pretzel in soda mixture and place on greased baking sheet. Allow pretzels to rise again.
  7. Bake in oven at 450 degrees F for about 10 minutes or until golden.
  8. Brush with melted butter.

Cinnamon Sugar Pretzels: After you brush with butter, try sprinkling with coarse salt or melt a stick of butter in a bowl big enough to fit the entire pretzel. In another shallow bowl, make a mixture of cinnamon and sugar.

Dip into the butter, coating both sides generously. Then dip again into the cinnamon mixture.

These soft pretzels are super tasty and shaping them is a family affair. We always do a pretzel with the first letter of everyone's name, then everyone has free reign to make whatever they desire. The kids have a blast making and eating their creations. So much so, that I often make a double batch.

Directions:

Heat milk in small saucepan over medium-low heat until warm (about 110 degrees F). Remove from heat.

Combine 1 tablespoon oil with the yeast and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Pour in warm milk and stir until the yeast and sugar are dissolved (recipe says to use wooden spoon or plastic spatula). After a few minutes you should see bubbles appear on the surface on the mixture. Let rest until mixture is slightly foamy, about 5 minutes. Add the flour and salt to the yeast mixture, stirring well until all the flour is mixed in.

Place the dough on an unfloured surface and knead until smooth, about 3 to 5 minutes (or you can use the dough hook on an electric mixture). Grease a large mixing bowl with remaining 2 Tbsp oil (I find I only need half). Place dough in the bowl, and turn to coat lightly with the oil. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand in a warm draft-free place (I use the oven set to 110 degrees F). Let rise until doubled in size, about 2 hours.

Put oven rack in the center position and preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

Beat egg in a small bowl and set aside.

Remove the dough from the bowl. You can either divide it into 16 similar sized pieces by eye-balling it (my lazy method) or roll the dough out into a 10x12 inch rectangle and divide in fourths, then divide each of those pieces into fourths.

LamBanhNgot400x300.jpg

Roll each piece between your hands and counter to form a "snake" and shape. If you want to make pretzel shapes, the "snake' should be about 14 inches long and 1/2 inch in diameter. If dough gets too dry and will not stretch, wet hands slightly and try rolling again.

Place formed pretzels on an ungreased baking sheet at least an inch apart. With pastry brush, brush each pretzel with the beaten egg and sprinkle with kosher salt.

LamBanhNgot400x295.jpg

Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes.

Try to be patient and not burn your mouth!

LamBanhNgot400x307.jpg

Servings: 16
Time:2 1/2 Hours Preparation Time
20 Minutes Cooking Time

Source: Emeril's "There's a Chef in My Soup!"

By Stephanie from Hillsboro, OR

Makes 10-12. Simple and inexpensive to make. Mix together yeast, sugar and salt. Stir in the warm water to the mixture. Add only 2 cups of flour to the liquid mixture, stirring to combine.

Homemade Pretzel

In a large microwave safe bowl, combine the sugar and corn syrup. Microwave on high for 3 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Stir in peanut butter until blended.

Dissolve the yeast in the warm water. Add the sugar and pinch of salt. Blend in the flour and knead until the dough is smooth. Cut the dough into 8 pieces and roll each piece into a rope.

Shape refrigerated bread dough into a 15 inch rope; twist into a pretzel shape. Brush lightly with some egg white from 1 egg, sprinkle with 1/4 tsp salt (or to taste) and bake at 350 degrees F in a toaster oven until golden, 9-10 minutes.

Prep time: 5 min. 2 points for Weight Watchers

By Evelyn from Greeley, CO

Use puff pastry to make these tasty baked pretzel snacks. The ingredients and steps are found on this page. Serve them plain or with a dip.

Seasoned Pretzel Twists

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Ingredients

• 4 - 4 1/2 cups flour
  • 2 Tbsp. yeast
  • 1 1/2 cups warm water
  • 1 1/2 tsp. salt

Directions

Dissolve yeast in water. Add flour and salt. Flour can be scant. Let rise for 15 minutes. Knead well and then make pretzels. Dip in 1/4 cup water with 2 tsp. soda. Bake at 400 degrees F for 15-20 minutes. Dip in melted butter after they are baked. Delicious served warm.

Topping Suggestions

• caramel sauce
  • pizza sauce
  • Cheese Whiz
  • brown sugar and cinnamon
  • cream cheese
  • mustard
  • jam

By Robin from Washington, IA

Answers:

Soft Pretzels

Thanks Robin, I love soft pretzels though I've never tried making them. I used to buy the frozen ones and they were pretty decent, and a friend told me a trick for mustard. His trick: mix Coleman's dry mustard with just enough beer to get the consistency you want. That works great for flavor but the texture leaves something to be desired, so I started playing with it. Mixing the mustard/beer a bit thick, I added various liquids to get the smoothness I wanted. Honey works pretty well but for pretzels, olive oil seems best. Anyway, can't wait to try your pretzel recipe! (09/05/2006)

By Warren D. Lockaby

Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts BreadsAugust 25, 2011
🌻
😎
🐛
😷
📓
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf34490687.tip.html