I love to make Greek salad anytime I have extra cucumbers, tomatoes and peppers. This summery salad keeps a long time and goes with all sorts of barbecue or outdoor grilling recipes. I would usually sprinkle feta on each serving but I made due with what I had at home.
- 1 red onion (or sweet yellow onion)
- 3-4 tomatoes, seeded
- 2 sweet peppers (I used red and yellow)
- 1 English cucumber
- 1/2 cup vinegar (red wine)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder (or 1-2 cloves fresh garlic)
- 1 Tbsp. herbs (I used dried Italian seasoning)*
- 1 Tbsp red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper, to taste
Fresh herbs would be preferred. I have used basil, oregano, parsley or cilantro, depending on what I have on hand. I have also often used chives or green onions.
- Chop onion into bite sized pieces.
- Chop seeded tomatoes into bite sized pieces.
- Chop peppers into bite sized pieces.
- Slice or chop cucumber into bite sized pieces. (Peel cucumber if not using English or other thin skinned variety)
- Combine all chopped vegetables in a large mixing bowl.
- Prepare dressing by combining the remaining ingredients and whisking it together. You could also use any bottled vinaigrette, creamy dressing or tzatziki.
- Pour dressing over salad and stir to combine. Place in refrigerator for for at least 1 hour. I often make it the night before to allow the flavors to meld.
This salad will keep much longer than lettuce or mayo based dressed salads, about a week in the refrigerator. It's a perfect potluck or picnic salad.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!