Green Hair After Dyeing

Category Coloring
Your natural hair color and the type and shade of dye used can create surprising results. This is a guide about green hair after dyeing.

I recently dyed my hair golden blonde to a medium natural brown and at the ends it turned green! My natural hair color is the medium natural brown. How do I get rid of the green without dying it again? Please help.

By Coral

Answers

Best Answer

I was a cosmetologist and color was one of my fortes; what has happened here is you chose a brown with an ash base. Additionally if the ends turned green they are extremely damaged or porous, and have grabbed the base color from the hair tint you used. There's nothing that can really be done that would last on your ends to correct the issue, because they won't hold color correctly for long. A temporary fix would be to purchase a reddish color like a light auburn or strawberry blonde or similar in a semi-permanent color like Clairol Jazzing, and color just the ends to neutralize the green. But, because the ends are damaged it will not last as long as it is supposed to, and you will have to do it frequently.

You could also use a permanent color in a medium tone which contains red as well, but that will only make the damage worse. Your best bet outside of seeking a professional stylist would be to use a reconstructor and a moisturizer, trim off as much of the damage as you can, and correct any leftover green with a reddish color at the ends.

Don't worry, the green won't turn red, the green will just be neutralized. Realistically, I wish I could tell you a good trim isn't needed, but in this case since the green took at the ends, that tells me the ends are somewhat beyond a permanent fix. Unless you do not like golden or reddish tones in your hair color, never choose a 'natural', 'neutral', or 'ash' hair color, always get a 'golden' color, or a red undertone like an auburn or something.

A little color theory: red neutralizes green, just as those violet shampoos neutralize yellow in a head of white hair. They cancel one another out. Good luck, and in the future trim more often; doesn't have to be a whole lot of hair trimmed, just often enough to prevent this damage.

I dyed my hair brown this past weekend over bleached hair. It now has a green tint. I read about using red hair dye to cancel out the green, but what I am worried about is if I dye it using a red dye, will my hair will have a red tint?

I don't want auburn hair or even red tinted hair and so I am worried that if I use the red to cancel out the green, I will get that red shade.

Can anyone tell me if that happened to them?

Answers

Best Answer

Anytime you dye your hair over bleached hair the results aren't guaranteed. The bleaching agent in the hair can react differently to each type of dye on the market.

Re dying your hair so soon can also damage your hair. Experts say it is best to wait 4 weeks before re dying your hair.

If your hair is green now I wouldn't recommend using a red dye on your hair to remove the green tint.

I would go to a hair professional and see what they suggest. They can determine if your hair is damaged, the best way to remove the green color, and the safest way to dye your hair the color you want.

Best Answer

You don't need a red dye but a red-based brown dye. Dyes are from blue-black tones and red tones and the red will cancel out the blue. Go to a hair specialist, even a Sally Beauty, and ask for a red based brown dye.

We bleached my daughter's hair blond several months ago and she wanted to go back to a light brown. We used Garnier Nutriesse Light Ash Brown. That was a big mistake! Now her hair is a gray/green. Please help! Does anyone know how we can fix this at home?

Answers

Best Answer

Often, if you have chlorine in the water, this can happen. Some beauty shops even have filters to remove the chlorine from their water in the shop. You may need to strip her hair of all color then try it again. Each time you process hair, it damages it, so be sure and condition it well.

Best Answer

You need a red based brown to eliminate the green. Garnier Nutrisse carries a nice red/brown line that will probably help a lot. The tones are labeled in the upper right hand corner of the packages.

I recently dyed my hair blonde and the lady that did it messed it up so I just ended up going back to brown. Now I've noticed that my hair is turning green. Is there anything I can do without damaging it more? Please help.

Answers

Best Answer

The best and cheapest way to resolve khaki hair is tomato ketchup ! Just slather it on , leave for a few minutes then rinse , easy and cheap for holidays after using swimming pools , good luck !

Best Answer

I would go back to the hair stylist and complain in a nice way and have her fix it for free.

My hair was blonde on the bottom and I recently dyed it brown, but the part that was blonde turned green. How can I fix that? Can I just re-dye the green part brown again?

Answers

Best Answer

Here is a great article: https://www.lea … when-dyed-brown/

What happened is that blonde hair has no red pigment. Brown has equal parts of red, yellow and blue. The yellow and blue from the brown dye turned your hair green. You have to fix it with a red shade.

I went to a parlor and got my black hair bleached to get blue and purple highlights. But unfortunately, the majority of it is an ash green colour. I was thinking of fixing it by bleaching again. I can't exactly visit a specialist cuz it's way too expensive over here. What do I ask the salon ladies to do?
I even tried to colour red over the green to try and neutralise it or make a magenta colour instead. But when the red faded, the green is back! The salon ladies here don't seem that experienced. Is there anything anyone could advice to fix it without having to visit an expensive specialist?

Answers

Best Answer

It looks like that due to the residual colours stuck in the bleached hair. You'll have to use a colour remover like Color Oops or Joico Eraser. You can get them at beauty supply shops or online. Read the directions to apply, then you have a fresh palette of hair to work with.

My blond hair turned green when I was trying to do the ombre with brown color. I went and bought bleach and a medium ash brown. Can I bleach the green out, because from my understanding ash brown will turn it green also?

Answers

Best Answer

The color you applied probably had a green base, which your hair absorbed. Fix it by getting a color with reddish tones.