Gritty Fudge

I have read many of the posts, but have a few questions. Mine seems fine until I remove it from the heat and add the chocolate chips. Suddenly it becomes sandy/gritty and I have to try and save it. This happened even with adding cream of tartar right before removing from heat. Am I adding the tartar too late? And should I not be stirring it constantly from the get-go?

Help :-(

By tmcollette from OR

Found this amusing site "the big bake theory" All Things Sweet-the science of fudge, for your fudgie problem:

bigbaketheory.com/.../

I detest too smooth/soft fudge, so I use only cocoa recipe because I like it best, then fantasy fudge for peanut butter flavor. On the boil over problem, I lay the wooden spoon across the top of the pan.