CuttingsGardening

Grow a Rose Cutting in a Potato

If you have a rosebush that's doing well and want to grow more from it, or give some as a gift, it's a good idea to propagate a cutting from that bush inside of a potato. Potatoes have a good amount of moisture and nutrients for a new cutting to develop from.

Cut a 6 to 8 inch stem from a rose cane that has flowered. Snip at a 45 degree angle with pruning clippers, then snip off any flower heads and hips.

Use a screwdriver or drill bit to make a hole in the potato for the stem to go in snuggly. Push the rose stem into the potato, but not all the way through.

In a pot or in the ground away from direct sunlight, dig a hole in some good soil and pop in the potato and cutting. Cover with at least 3 inches of soil, making sure the potato is fully covered. Keep the soil moist.

After some time, if you gently tug on the cutting and feel resistance, that means its roots have grown and it's time for it to be moved to more direct sunlight.

wow! cannot wait to try this! thank you.

You're welcome, Mary!

Cool!! I have one rose bush left (the honeysuckle strangled out its sister a few years ago). I will have to try this.

I miss having several rose bushes in the yard. I am guessing I can use the least fresh potato to this and it would be OK! That way, I am being EXTRA thrifty! Thanks for sharing!

You're welcome! As long as that old potato has juice in it, you're good to go. Let us know how it goes! Happy blooming!

Really!! Marvelous.. I'll have to try this if for no reason other than to see if it will work for me (of course I love roses!).

So - looks you are not satisfied with being Queen in other areas now you're stepping into LikeKinds territory!
Just kidding!!!!
Sounds like this might even work for other hardwood plants and I have been planning to propagate my Rose of Sharon.

What do you think?

Hahaha Betty!!! When I posted this, I swear, I felt like I was stepping into his box of expertise! Forgive me, Doug! I shall step out, now!

I think this would work for other plants, as well. Give it a try and see if it blooms! x

Don't step out, Atossa! There is room for both of you. If I could clone you all, I would. :)

Hahaha okay, I won't! <3

I have a rose with 12 flowers on one stem which I have selected to try this method. Thank you.

Excellent! Let us know what comes of it!

I have three cuttings started as I just happened to have a couple of not so pretty looking potatoes just crying out for someone to use them.

I like this tip!!
Thanks for posting,
Betty

The not so pretty ones for use here are a great idea! I often think "ugh, that one is too ugly to take the eyes out of and serve," so that's a brilliant addition to this tip!

I know this might sound odd, but do you think the potatoes would work for a lunchbox pepper plant cutting? I have one with aphid larvae damage to its main stem at the base. The aphids are taken care of, but now the plant isnt growing as well as it should. Im thinking of cutting it far above the damaged part & either rooting it in water or maybe trying the potato idea. Im thinking the potato would be better nutrients wise & maybe I could use rooting powder with it, for a little added help? Any thoughts? BTW, thanks for posting such a great tip:-)

I bet it would work out! It can't hurt to try, right? Do you just have one to work with?