Growing Annuals

Category Annuals
Annuals are available in a wide range of colors, sizes, and light requirements. This makes them a good choice for filling your garden with bright spots of color to complement your perennials, trees, and shrubs. This is a guide about growing annuals.

I save all of my plant tags and information about where I bought them so that I can purchase the best producing annuals again from the same merchant for the following spring.

By Sue

Does anyone have some general tips for growing annuals? I want to plant from seed. Should I start the seeds and grow seedlings first or just plop the seeds in the ground? Any tips for a beginning gardener would be great. I believe I have Begonias and something else.

Kathy in Idaho

Answers

Most annuals can be started indoors, however they usually need to be started in March in zones 3-5. After the ground warms, usually mid May, I plant the seeds in the ground if they are all summerbloomers. Marigolds, Petunias,and Stocks are good varieties to direct sow into your gardens.

They will catch up to the rest of the plants soon enough. Pansies and Violas like early spring so buy a few plants and put them where they'll get a lot of am sun. Sow your other seeds around these and you'll have color all summer.

thank you I need all the help I can get for as I have no "green thumb" what so ever !!!!!

By Ethel (Guest Post)

i'm a beginner too, I bought some marigolds and sweet basil and this is what I did-I bought some styrofoam cups at the dollar store and a bag of miracle grow potting soil. i put the soil in the cup first,about half full then I put a little bit of the seeds

in the potting soil and lightly covered it with a little more potting soil and lightly watered it and put the cups in direct sun-with days the sprouts were pushing up through th soil-I wouldn't suggest just putting them in the ground because some flowers have to be "harden' (I have no idea what that means) but that was mentioned on the package of seeds. That miracle grow really does work!! good luck.

Editor's Note: Hardening is putting them outside for a few days before you put them in the ground so they get used to the outside temperature.

By Gwen (Guest Post)

Does this work for geraniums, too? Has anyone tried to grow sweet potato vine? Seems like I've seen this done before. I would like the lighter, bright green variety. Seems like they are much more difficult to find in garden stores by mid summer.

Is it possible to grow flowers in containers sitting in a hole in the ground? The soil around our house is mixed with clay and is rocky. Finances prevent me from replacing that soil with properly amended soil. Is it possible to set a flowerpot down in the ground to put annuals in for the summer? I would probably use plastic yogurt containers, with holes punched in the bottom, so that I could put lids on them after the annuals die out, then cover with mulch to hide for the winter.

Answers

Annuals don't come back every year, they have to be replaced with new plants every year. Perannuals are the ones that come back every year.

As for the idea of using yogurt containers, do you mean the quart container? I don't think the individual containers would be big enough. Even using the quart containers, only one/two plants per container I would think would be the limit, so they have room to grow healthy roots.

I think you are smart to come up with a way to enjoy and beautify your yard without spending a lot. Perhaps a hardy ground cover in a few of your containers. Periwinkle has blue or white flowers... might work. That is a perennial and stays green all winter in most areas, so would look nice year round and even spread to cover a larger area. You sound creative, I'm sure you will come up with others.

Good luck!

I just bought several different types of flowering plants and they all came in six packs. I am still new to this, but I have bought some before. It seems that when I go to plant them, the roots to the little plants have grown together. I have tried gently massaging them apart, but it feels like I am actually ripping them apart. What is the best way to separate each plant without damaging the roots?

By magpie730

Answers

Normally what I do when a package of plants is root bound is to remove them from the pot and gently tap them on the ground. This will loosen up the roots and the dirt holding them together.

Afterwards, you can pull them apart without damaging the roots. You can also hold the plants and shake them to remove the dirt and losen up the roots to make it easier to separate the plants.