Growing Black-Eyed Susan

Category Flowers
A wildflower native to North America, Rudbeckias are wonderful for attracting backyard birds. This guide is about growing black-eyed Susan.

Botanical Name:

Rudebeckia

Life Cycle:

perennial, biennial, and annual

Planting Time:

spring or fall

Height:

18" to 30"

Exposure:

full sun to very light shade

Soil:

average to rich, well-drained soil; drought resistant

Hardiness:

zones 3 to 9

Bloom Time:

summer to fall

Flower:

dark-golden yellow to orange daisy-shaped petals with chocolate brown to black centers

Foliage:

green

Propagation:

seeds, division

Suggested Use:

beds, borders, mass plantings

Growing Hints:

Purchase plants in the spring or start your own by sowing seeds directly into ground or into pots in the early spring or late fall. Seeds need light to germinate so don't cover them, but press them gently into the surface of the soil. Plants will self-seed and can be divided in the spring or fall.

Interesting Facts:

A wildflower native to North America, Rudbeckias are wonderful for attracting backyard birds, especially finches, chickadees, cardinals, sparrows and nuthatches.
Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Purchase plants in spring or start them from seeds sown directly into the garden in the spring or fall. Seeds can also be sown in pots in early spring or fall and set outdoors in a protected location. The exception is Gloriosa seeds.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

I wish I was out watering my flowers. Looking at the 5 inches of snow on the ground today, takes me back to the warm summer day that I took this photo.

By Mau

Garden: Black Eyed Susan

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 5

These are blooming along my property line. This was an early morning picture with the sun somewhat low for lighting. I hope you can see the bee on the right central part of the picture.

By Frank

Large bunch of black eyed Susans

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? Yes