Growing Black-Eyed Susan

Category Flowers
A wildflower native to North America, Rudbeckias are wonderful for attracting backyard birds. This guide is about growing black-eyed Susan.

Botanical Name:

Rudebeckia

Life Cycle:

perennial, biennial, and annual

Planting Time:

spring or fall

Height:

18" to 30"

Exposure:

full sun to very light shade

Soil:

average to rich, well-drained soil; drought resistant

Hardiness:

zones 3 to 9

Bloom Time:

summer to fall

Flower:

dark-golden yellow to orange daisy-shaped petals with chocolate brown to black centers

Foliage:

green

Propagation:

seeds, division

Suggested Use:

beds, borders, mass plantings

Growing Hints:

Purchase plants in the spring or start your own by sowing seeds directly into ground or into pots in the early spring or late fall. Seeds need light to germinate so don't cover them, but press them gently into the surface of the soil. Plants will self-seed and can be divided in the spring or fall.

Interesting Facts:

A wildflower native to North America, Rudbeckias are wonderful for attracting backyard birds, especially finches, chickadees, cardinals, sparrows and nuthatches.
Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Purchase plants in spring or start them from seeds sown directly into the garden in the spring or fall. Seeds can also be sown in pots in early spring or fall and set outdoors in a protected location. The exception is Gloriosa seeds.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

I have a beautiful black eyed Susan vine. It has stopped blooming. What have I done? I water it and make sure it gets afternoon shade. I have been removing seeds as they appear. Should I be doing something else?

Answers

It may have too much water. Try putting some mulch on it.

When watering I tend to use the one inch down rule. Now this the 1st year I have had Blackeyed Susan Vine plant so the watering rule may be different, I fertilize monthly. And now I just don't know what to do,

Your problem may be overwatering. This vine requires well-drained soil and moderate watering.

They do well in and outdoors but either way, they seem to do better with some support, like a trellis. It seems to promote flowering...at least it did when I had them. They also like warmer temps at night so if you have them in a pot, bring them in on cooler nights. I am unusual in that I avoid fertilizer in 99% of my plants. I feel like it is overkill and too much fuss. Below is a nice link about these lovelies!

wimastergardener.org/.../

You should trim it back a bit to help promote new growth. Normally plants don't need to be fertilized each month or watered daily. let it go one or two days between watering.

You may be doing everything right but maybe a little too much of each thing...

• You do not say if your plant is in the ground or if it is in a container but it is assumed you have it planted outside.
  • Here are some suggestions from lovers of Black Eyed Susan vines:
  • Not flowering generally is a watering problem, mostly overwatering. Watch your watering. If you want to maximize your blooms try Bloom Booster by Miracle-Gro and follow directions carefully.
  • Mulching around the base of the plants will keep the roots cool and moist, without fear of rotting.
  • Feeding every 4 - 6 weeks, with a complete fertilizer, to keep it growing strong.
  • Ad

• Too much nitrogen can cause plants to produce more foliage and less blooms.
  • Black-eyed Susan vine does go through a period in the dead of summer heat (late-July and August) when it tends to slow down on producing blooms. As soon as cooler weather starts back up again in September it should start to bloom again in force.
  • www.thespruce.com/black-eyed-susan-vine-thunbergia...

Thank you so much. all of these suggestions are helpful. I will get the Bloom Booster today and will trim my Blackeyed Susan Vine tomorrow and by the way it is in a hanging pot with shade for about noon till nightfall. If this make a difference please let me know

I do not think it will make a big difference except you will have to watch it carefully as you do not want it to dry out but not wet all the time either.

When you go to purchase your Bloom Booster why not check one of these out also as I use one of these with a lot of potted plants. These are available at most garden centers and come in just for water gauge or a 3 in 1 like this.

www.amazon.com/.../?tag=thrif06-20

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

I wish I was out watering my flowers. Looking at the 5 inches of snow on the ground today, takes me back to the warm summer day that I took this photo.

By Mau

Garden: Black Eyed Susan

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 5

These are blooming along my property line. This was an early morning picture with the sun somewhat low for lighting. I hope you can see the bee on the right central part of the picture.

By Frank

Large bunch of black eyed Susans

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? Yes