Growing Day Lilies in a Pond

Can you put day lilies in ponds in containers?

Best Answer

Yes it can be done but I had to keep mine on rocks with just the bottom touching the water.

• It has been some time since I had a large pond but I remember that an older gentleman gave me some day lilies and helped me prepare them for the pond experiment.
  • We used medium size containers, placed weed control cloth over holes to help keep soil in the container, and then placed a couple of inches of small/medium size rocks/pebbles in the bottom.
  • We used these to help stabilize the pot but also to let the lily's roots grow without being in wet soil and the roots did grow all in and around the rocks.
  • Advertisement

• I cannot remember the exact type of soil I used but I feel sure it was a loose mixture as I never use just regular soil with any plants.
  • The bottom of the pots were placed on rocks/bricks and the bottom set just at or a little above water level. I had Koi so their splashing around would slosh water and keep the plants watered but not soaking wet.
  • Involved process but my lilies did a lot of blooming and I never had a problem with root rot but if you have fish you cannot add any type of fertilizer as it will kill the fish, but then, "fish water" is all the fertilizer you need.
  • Most pond stores, Lowe's, Home Depot, Ace Hardware usually sell what is called a pond planter. It has a lot of holes and can be used for a lot of pond plants if used in much the same manner as I described above but this may be too much water for day lilies. They are nice for other pond plants.

They dont like soggy conditions. You are better off putting them around the pond

It is possible if you must.

Here is a good forum to reference: garden.org/.../

I have never tried day lillies in this manner, so I defer to the experts on this site.

I have experienced tiger lillies growing in a natural made pond, which was a place in the backyard of a friend's house where rain water pooled about 3 feet around and 2 feet deep every spring that had the most amazing clump of tiger lillies living in it every summer.

My friends only use water lillies in their koi pond. Her hubby said the tigers and day lillies are bad for the fish. Something about the dead flowers cause issues with the water and poison the fish.

My lilies grew in this pond situation for many years but I had an excellent filtration system and a skimmer so I did not have debris across my pond.
Mine was a deep man-made pond with a screen cover so no over zealous bird could try catching one of my fish.
I also had fresh well water so my conditions were idea and may not be appropriate for other pond lovers.

Home and Garden Gardening BulbsJune 23, 2018
🎄